I need to know everything about hacking!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by bazookafx3, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

So i am considering purchasing an Ipod Touch very soon and hacking it seems the best way to go (If im paying $400 i better get some great apps) The best way i found was going to 'jailbreakme.com' on the safari browser, getting installer.app and going from there. Bellow are my main questions, please answer as many as possible.
    1) Does it affect battery life?
    2) Is it reversible?
    3) How much does each App take up?
    4) Is there a better way to do it other than 'jailbreakme.com?'

Oh Btw will my older ipod dock adapters and dock work with it?

2. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

1) The act of jailbreaking does not, but the more intensive of the app you are running, the shorter your battery life.

2) It is reversible, simply restore using iTunes.

3) Depends on the app, some dont even take a megabyte, some take around 5. Dont worry about that, once you move you app folder onto the media partition, you have access to the 16 or 8 gigs.

4) Not really. There is one thing though. If you do not purchase it soon enough, you will get a Touch with a firmware version of 1.1.3, which is currently harder to downgrade/hack than the others. So hurry, or you may have to wait for a stable jailbreak of 1.1.3 to develop.

And the Touch comes with its own dock adapter, and any dock accepting those will work.

3. bazookafx3 thread starter macrumors regular

How do i go about moving my app folder onto the media partition?

4. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Once your iPod is jailbroken, you will need to download an app called Bosstool. It allows for the creation of the symlink to the Applications folder.

5. Darkjenso macrumors regular

the description inside the app was quite brief, could you explain how this works and what it actually does? i've been hesitant to actually use this feature as i dont know much about it.

as it is copying it to the other partition, does this mean that i have to copy it back somehow in order to use it? and if so how,

is there anything extra i have to do before pressing the button in terms of preparation or recovery?

6. dagored macrumors 65816

It moves your apps to the media area. The Touch is partitioned into two areas. One for the system and apps, and one for the "data". The system partition is only 300 megs. It fills up.

Bosstool moves the apps and creates a link to them. It will free up about 50 megs. Some apps can not run from the Media area. Keep that in mind and the Bosstool will not reverse what it has done. You would have to SSH into your Touch and move the apps back.

7. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

What Dagored said ;)
    If it's any help, I did just that with the manual method before Bosstool was around and all's fine.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I've heard that some apps don't work once you've done this too, but I've never had a problem. Do you know of any specific applications that don't work once you've done this?

9. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

+1
    All of the apps that I use have all worked fine.

10. Fofer macrumors 6502a

+1
    Same here.

11. KBV1 macrumors regular

KBV1

i am wanted to do a simular thing, to try and fix apollo. I have to find the application folder but its not on there. I have installed bosstool, do i need to click that, then free disk space and then press relocate applications to get my apps folder?

If i do all this, can it all be reverable, eg having to restore you ipod to do that?

Thanks

12. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

From what I gather from that post, you do need to free space using Bosstool.

When browsing the touch through SFTP, the App folder is at the top most level, in the "/" directory.

13. KBV1 macrumors regular

KBV1

thanks:) if I use bosstool to free up space is everything reversable if it ever goes wrong, by doing a restore through iTunes?

14. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Yep

15. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Everything is completely reversible on the Touch by restoring

16. bazookafx3 thread starter macrumors regular

Have there been any reports of people bricking their ipod touch with jailbreak?

17. Fofer macrumors 6502a

Amidst the hundreds of successful jailbreaks I've read about, and the many, many who have reported being able to recover/restore from a glitch...

I think I've read about ONE reported brick? (But honestly, in that case, the poster sounded pretty stubborn, anxious, and unwilling to try different things. Maybe he was just playing around, riling people up for fun... I dunno.)

What I do know is, a complete restore brings the iPod back to it's original factory state... as if nothing was customized in the first place. The jailbreak is just software, and therefore should be completely reversible.

I am running 1.1.2 on jailbroken 16 GB iPod touch and I am pretty happy with it.