I Need to Know if Apple is worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MattMJB0188, Apr 24, 2010.

1. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I am currently debating my first Mac and I basically want to know are these things really worth it. I see so many posts about the New Core i5/i7 Macbooks having issues with the screen (yellow tint), speakers, and build quality (lid not closing all the way). I have also heard Apple's build quality is superior to all other manufacturers. I have never used OS X but heard its great and very user friendly and very intuitive. I will be getting the Mac in my sig. I really want to future proof it and I have heard Apple computers are the best ones to future proof. So will spending $2,500 guarantee me a long lasting computer that actually works? With Windows laptops seems like the majority of the components work and I always have to dedicate some time on googling this or googling that.

I understand that you can get better specs for less with Windows laptops but honestly I don't care about that anymore. I just want something problem free and that works. So I need people to give me the Apple rundown lol. Will spending about $2,500 on a Core i5 15" MBP with 8GB of ram give me a long lasting problem free computer? I want the 8Gb of ram to future proof it and I know you can add ram later but I have the money to do it now and this way wouldn't have to be bothered later on by doing it. I have searched and ram prices are nearly the same to upgrade yourself. I would also prefer not to open up my mac. ( Bad past experiences) I plan on buying Applecare off of eBay later on and I know to make sure the seller ships out the actual box.

I have gone through many laptops since August of 09. HP was ok but had build quality issues and hardware issues. Dell is a big improvement over HP but still doesn't satisfy me 100%. So to summarize... Is making the switch to Apple (Mac) as good as everyone says it is? Any draw backs, major issues...? I really appreciate everyone's opinion and I have searched 'Why Apple' and couldn't seem to find anything. Thanks again.

2. Popfry macrumors newbie

Hey!

Hey!

I got my first mac a few years ago and here are my thoughts:

- Totally worth it

-The issue that you generally see on places like here seem to give the impression that every mac is like it. Generally speaking, people with issues only write about it, as in, they are a very small minority. But if there are any issues, Apple's really good at replacing things if you're quick enough to get back to them after your purchase.

-Going from Windows, Mac OS X does take some getting used to. Things like the '+'button not actually maximising the window (Yes, it's supposed to make the window the correct size it should be, but it leaves the background which makes it look messy) and things like not being able to 'cut' files and paste them around. But overall, OS X is so much better than windows, much smoother and more intuitive. When you go back to using Windows, you'll miss lots of things from OS X believe me.

-The Macbook pro is an amazing machine, you really won't find this level of build quality anywhere else, it's really very good.

-The resell value is good compared to Windows notebook, so if you choose to upgrade next year, you only need to pay a small amount of difference, I would probably lose only about £300/£400 on this £1600 machine if kept well.

-TRY one out! Go to the stores and fiddle with them a lot to make sure you know what you're getting.

-Make sure all the software you want is available for it. It seems that you're going for the 8GB option, so you must be doing video editing or something similar.

Overall, it's really worlds beyond Windows machine.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd say Macs are worth it. Being around an environment of Windows notebooks runnings everything from XP to Windows 7, I am reminded just how awful the "Windows experience" can be, both in hardware and software.

Future proofing doesn't make sense. You spend a couple hundred to upgrade the processor hoping to get a year or two more when the reality is that you could save the money now and upgrade earlier. You'd get a better machine a couple years down the road and if you sold your current one the depreciation of two years versus three years will also result in a lot of money saved.

For example, if you would have bought a 15" MacBook Pro roughly three years ago:
    Santa Rosa 2.2Ghz $1999
    Santa Rosa 2.4Ghz $2499

Chose the first one and upgrade now, versus waiting another year with the 2.4Ghz because you don't have that extra $500. Also, the difference in price of a used 2.2Ghz vs. a 2.4Ghz is going to be I'd imagine somewhere close to 1/10th of that $500 that was paid.

Now over the last three years is there anything the 2.4Ghz could do that the 2.2Ghz can't?

4. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Thanks for your input! I do plan on reading about OSx over the summer to help familiarize myself with it. I do believe Macs are easier to sell compared to Windows machines. Nearest Apple store is pretty far about 100+ miles so best I have is Best Buy ):

5. germanix macrumors member

Dear MattMJB0188, First of all allow me to congratulate you on your excellent choice. If had the money I would be buying that same MacBook you have ordered. I am sure you will be extremely happy with it. Apple`s products are in a class of its own and to top it off you have the best OS that money can buy. Do not be influenced by the fact that some people may have some issues with this product. The fact is the vast majority do not have any problems at all. It stands to reason that only those few who do experience some kind of problem post it here on the forum. That is what forums are there for. The 99,9 % who do not have problems do not post it here. After I ordered my iMac24" in the latter half of last year I also noted some people having some issues with it and I too was somewhat concerned, but I need not have been. My machine runs like a swiss watch totally problem free. Off course problems could occur as after all these are machines and machines can develop issues but be assured that Apple choses the best hardware for their products and provides the best software to make it come alive. In those rare instances where problems do occur you can always count on Apple to fix them asap.
    So to answer your question of "are these products worth it" I can only say YES THEY ARE, every cent!
    So please stop worrying and enjoy. ;)

6. nOw2 macrumors regular

If you pay any attention to this forum you'll never buy a Mac, everyone seems to be complaining about everything and it'll only confuse or unnecessarily worry you. A good example is that mention of the yellow tint, which apparently affects some 27" iMacs - not the new MacBooks.

Go find one to play with, or buy a older 2nd hand machine cheaply to try it out.

7. flyersgl macrumors member

I bought the mid-2006 macbook I am now typing on used in mid-2008. It was my first Mac. I found it harder than I anticipated to get used to the OS, but once I learned its quirks, I have enjoyed it. No more crashes, no more "issues" that are hard to resolve (due to software hardware conflicts). I now have an iMac and a Mini, but still use this nearly 4 year-old laptop for most of my computing. It runs everything I need to run, including light video editing. By contrast, my windows laptop of the exact same age is slow, can't handle video and still crashes on my daughter on a regular basis.

I am not sure you can future proof your purchase, but I will say that I have never held on to a PC for more than 3 years without feeling like I need to replace it, but I think I will end up hanging on to all of my macs for longer...

8. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Thanks, I feel a lot better and will be ordering very soon.

You're right thats pretty much what forums are for.

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

And be prepared for the fact that not everything is going to "Just Work". Don't get me wrong. I like Macs, I use Macs exclusively. I have no problems recommending Macs to my friends who ask me for an opinion. However....

Nothing is perfect.

Apple makes some interesting choices on occasion.

Your first job should be to research and locate the software you will need to make your transition. Do this before you actually switch over (you'll miss a few things, but at least you will be mostly up and running.) Don't switch just before a big project is due.

Once you switch, Do Not expect everything will work just like Windows... once you have started to figure out the Mac OS X way of doing things, you'll life will be easier... but that first month will drive you nuts.

Watch for little downward pointing triangles. When they point down that means that there is more information to be displayed - you are only seeing the summary. The one next to the "Save" or "Save As" line in those dialogues is a good example. Click on it to show more info, and your life will become much easier. It's one of those examples of Apple making interesting choices.

Once you start exploring what Macs allow you to do over and above what you are used to... you'll be really happy you switched.