I Need to make some wine labels ....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marbles, Jul 3, 2008.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Ok sO I have picked the Elderflowers , brewed 'em up and now the bottles are sitting there tantalizingly waiting for the magic to happen , I realize I'd like to put some funky labels on em .

My Question :

Is there a freeware app out there that cold help me make some labels up ?
    I'm not looking for something too fancy
    I'm on a PPC iMac

thanks

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

How neff are you looking to go?

See if neooffice has enough style for you, otherwise have a look at coolosxapps.com and do a search for dtp or graphics.

3. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

4. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

If you want, I can just make some up for you and email you the photo or whatever.
    Let me know..

5. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Hi & thanks man I appreciate that , very kind indeed but I want to learn how to do these things myself you know :)

6. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

That's cool.
    I understand. :)

If you want something a little more on the advanced side,
    you could download a trial of paintshop pro or photoshop.
    :p

If you want something on the easy side........

Hm... I'll have to do some searching for you.
    I've heard of a few programs.

7. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Photoshop , I don't think it will run on this Mac :( , I've been huntin round Macupdate but lack the terminology to find what I want :eek:

thanks for helping

8. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

I just want to dip my toes in to this kind thing a little till I get an up to date machine this next few weeks

9. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

What about Pixelmator? I don't know if it's Intel only, but you need Tiger 10.4.9.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, you're really looking for a graphics program, and then secondly for some ready-made templates for labels that you can modify.

Unfortunately there isn't a ready to go "FreeWineLabelMaker Pro" application out there, so it will take some extra work on your part

There are templates available for popular programs like Word and Illustrator -- Google for them, but you will need the program to use them

There is an online label generator, which you buy the finished sheets of labels for $5 a sheet (plus a $4 setup charge) plus shipping: MyOwnLabels.com (not an endorsement of this company)

For free -- you may be able to use GIMP or Seashore or another free graphics program -- YMMV when trying to import templates though. Check for shareware and freeware programs at www.versiontracker.com

11. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

whao fast edit , my mac is a iMac G3 400Mhz 1Gb Ram (till the next macbook update) running 10.4.11

12. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Thanks , that's given me some good stuff to go at , I am looking to learn so I'll be needing a 'real' program soon to do this when the new machine turns up but for now I'll just be getting used to the idea of doing graphical work on a machine , so yeah great , I'm on my way :)

13. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Say wha ??????? Photoshop has been a mac program since way , way back in the old days :p

Although you may not be able to run the latest version (CS3), but I run CS 2 quite well on my Quicksilver 1.6, and have had v5, 6, & 7 on sawtooths and smurfboxes........... suggest you have a lookie on ebay/craiglist for older versions.......

Anyways, if you just want to do some basic labeling with text and a bit of artwork, most word processor apps can utilize standard Avery printer formatting, let you copy & paste small to medium sized pix/clip art into the labels, and change transparencies etc.....

I did this last year in MS Word, for my mom's spices/herbs/cooking additive collection.......and me thinks NeoOffice can do about the same things, plus it's F R E E........