I need to make sure I'm going to upgrade my hard drive correctly... Please Help!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IndianaiPhone, Dec 24, 2010.

1. IndianaiPhone macrumors regular

So, I'm getting a 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT for Christmas.

I need to make sure I know how to properly upgrade.

I backup with Time Machine currently. So does that mean I still need to use SuperDuper to backup my current drive and restore with that or can I restore from Time Machine? If I can do it via Time Machine do I just take out my current drive, install my new one, and then restore? If so, then how do I go about restoring?

I'm really :confused: because I have different websites telling me different things...

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

To restore from Time Machine, you insert the Mac Install disk, choose your language, and then go to I think Utilities on the menubar. There should be a menu item called Restore from Time Machine.

3. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Merry Xmas. I got my self the Momentus xt for Xmas as well (and since we celebrate Xmas tonight, the evening of the 24th I just installed it. I had a external enclosure I bought and connected that with USB to my Mbp. I used superduperto clone my hard drive as I read that restoring from a TM backup is not the best way. After the cloning I booted my Mbp from the external enclosure with my new XT inside to see that it worked. (hold the option key down at start up to choose disk).
    Seeing that ig worked I turned everythig off and swapped the hard drives. Worked like a charm. Good luck and happy holidays.
    Ps. My Mbp feels a lot snappier

4. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

I am curious why you dont just boot in target mode and rip an image of your drive using a 2nd mac? That is what I have always done, and only one or two apps (usually Apple ones like Logic Pro) will want to re-auth.

5. 2097, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2010

2097 macrumors newbie

I would say to get a 2.5" USB external enclosure to put a hard drive in it, plug it in, boot up with Mac OS X installation and open Disk Utility. Clone the hard drive from there.

Here is a guide.

How to Clone and Backup Your Hard Drive with Disk Utility

The plus side of doing it like this is that you can use your old hard drive as an external hard drive.

Not everyone has 2+ macs and not everyone has experience to know what you're talking about.

6. brian2220 macrumors member

brian2220

i just got the momentus xt yesterday to put in my new mac i got on the 20th.
    I used time machine and it worked perfect for what i had

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You can also you Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the entire HDD, HFS partitions only, to any drive of your choice, HFS partitioned and it will be bootable.