Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
As you know IE is gone... Is there anything I can do to open this site with out using IE. I tried Safari, Mozilla...

http://www.mlsstratus.com/

Also when I had IE for OSX it didnt work the way it should.

what other choices do i have besides using a PC?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
If you don't have IE anymore, you can get it here. It will at least let you open the page. I can't speak for how it behaves since I can't log in.

Changing the User Agent in Safari doesn't fool the site, so it seems that you need either IE for Mac or a PC.

And give the people who did this a piece of your mind.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It works with Safari, if you change the UserAgent. At least it allowed me to the login prompt.
I hate websites that require crap like that.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
My bad...yellow is correct...changing the User Agent in Safari will let you get to the login screen, but we don't know how it will behave after that.

If you don't know how to change the User Agent, download TinkerTool (a terrific little app), and click the checkbox next to "Enable debug menu containing advanced options" in the Safari pane.

Once the Debug menu is enabled, go to Debug --> User Agent --> Windows MSIE 6.0. Then type in the URL and you should be good to go.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
yellow said:
Or, quit Safari, open Terminal.app and type:

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Well yes, that's how I originally did it, but why not take the opportunity to introduce people to TinkerTool? :D

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Thank you I download IE from that link and it works...

Also I have Tinkertools I need to buy it only have 3 more uses of it.

WildCowboy said:
If you don't have IE anymore, you can get it here. It will at least let you open the page. I can't speak for how it behaves since I can't log in.

Changing the User Agent in Safari doesn't fool the site, so it seems that you need either IE for Mac or a PC.

And give the people who did this a piece of your mind.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
TinkerTool is free. Are you talking about TinkerTool System? That's a "pro" level utility that does different things than TinkerTool.

eddiepny

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
MLS Stratus for Mac

It seems the best option is using Safari, but it is not a total solution. I have found trouble when trying "Revise Criteria" in MLS, it just does not save my entries and I have to start the search all over again.

It is really annoying that mlsstratus did not design their site for firefox or any other browsers.

eddiepny

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010

srb217

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
That option also exists for safari and i'm still having problems with parts of the website...is opera any different?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
That option also exists for safari and i'm still having problems with parts of the website...is opera any different?
There are two kinds of IE-compatibilities issues. Many websites check the browser agent. These look for IE, but will work with most other browsers. Change the browser agent of your browser and everybody is happy. Then there are the websites that use IE's plethora of non-standard features and bugs. Changing the browser agent may help, but the site will render properly only in IE. Site developers who put such sites on the Web should be subject to cruel and unusual punishment. Whether out of ignorance or intent they continue to do it.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've had lots of success with IE-only sites using the free WineBottler and using it to install IE7 in a simulated Windows environment (IE8 isn't recommended right now, it's horribly buggy in Wine; IE9 doesn't work at all).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.