I need to rant about my crappy job

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CorvusCamenarum, Oct 10, 2007.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Supposedly I was promoted to Assistant Manager five weeks ago, with a raise to come with it. The three paychecks I've received since then fail to reflect this. Two weeks ago, I inquired about my status, with the promise of an answer that Friday. Needless to say, that Friday came and went with nothing. Last Thursday I was able to speak in person with my regional manager (one step above store manager) who said 1) I should have an answer by yesterday and 2) the title and raise would be retroactive to 1 September, which was when I was initially offered and accepted the position. Yesterday came and went with similar results, and today I find that 1) the raise came through at much less than for which I asked, 2) will not be effective for another week, and 3) contrary to what I was directly told, there will be no back pay. I've tried calling both the regional manager and her boss to get some answers, but so far they've neglected to have the common courtesy to return my calls.

While I'm upset about the money, what has me spitting nails is that I had to wait five weeks for this and moreso, that I was blantantly lied to about the particulars. I can understand it taking a week to get properly sorted, but not five. What's more, I've been busting my hump there all the while, going above & beyond to demonstrate that I'm fit to handle the added responsibility that goes with the job. When someone was needed to stay late or do extra work, I had no problem staying over, my personal plans aside. Not even the manager can be bothered to put in extra anything, and people in three separate stores all know I'm the one holding ours together, I'm the one they go to when they need something, not her.

I'm not mad at the local manager, as she's been going to bat for me over this, because she knows 1) I'm deserving of it and 2) her success comes or goes depending on me, basically. She was hired in with zero management experience and is already thinking of leaving as she got a higher paying offer elsewhere just recently. Keep in mind the Christmas rush is right around the corner, and after this there is no amount of money that could convince me to run things for them.

At this point I'm still weighing my options. I'm speaking to my dad tonight; he's an attorney should I decide to pursue that route. As far as the company goes, they can either make this right or I'll find work elsewhere.

End rant.

2. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The thing is, I actually enjoy my job, because I get to do more than just sell crap to housewives and clueless grooms-to-be - without naming any names, it's a store that sells gifts and them personalizes them by way of an engraving machine. Driving the engraver is flat out fun, especially when I get to engrave glass. As I said, I do enjoy it, but I can't in good conscience put up with this treatment without some remedy.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I hear ya. I've been trying to find a new job myself, but the advertising job market isn't too happening right now. :(

My company is now trying to make it "mandatory" to work weekends, even though that's illegal as far as I know- especially after working 50 hours during the week.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

It sounds like you have quite a bit of leverage, and could probably only have more if you had another job already lined up. Perhaps it is time to use some of it.

5. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I agree with tobefirst. Use some of your leverage to ensure they do what is fair. Of course it is always good to have a back-up in case that attempt fails.

Good luck.

6. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

If my boss quits as I'm suspecting she will, then yes I do have them over a barrel. At present the store staff stands as thus:

Manager
    Me
    2 part-time employees (only one of whom if properly trained) with highly limited availability

My boss has already told me that if I quit, she will as well. The alternative is for the company to take a $500 a day fine from our mall for not being open during mall hours, plus finding two more qualified people to run the store, plus training them.

I don't intend to play the screw-them back game until I've exhausted all options, but I have no problem leaving them in the lurch right before Christmas if I absolutely must.

7. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Actually I don't mind working weekends. My immediate boss is very willing to be flexible with my scheduling - I get 95% of the times I request off granted.

Actually there are quite a few practices in the company that violate OSHA standards, and I'm sure they'd love to hear about them. We're required to work without breaks of any kind for example (which sometimes can be gotten around) and the store's mini-fridge (which I refuse to use) is 3 feet away from the toilet. I'm sure that's a no-no.

If I do need to leave, part of me would feel bad because it would be at least temporarily screwing my coworkers, who haven't done anything wrong. My boss is a single mom with a 5 year old with a disability, and if I left, she'd have to work 9-9 most days until she leaves. That's not right.

See, Lee? I do have a caring side. ;)

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't know how much leverage you think you have, but don't count on it. You don't know that they couldn't just transfer an employee from another store -- maybe not your full hours, but just enough to keep the place open and running.

I speak from a similar experience working at a local hospital. Promises made, few if any kept. I had nothing in writing, and even if I had, employers have all kinds of ways to weasel out of things. ("Your manager was not authorized to offer you back pay," e.g.)

It's a rigged game, and your choices almost always are (a) leave, or (b) sit there and take it. Unfortunately, I stuck with (b) for much, much too long. You don't wanna be that guy.

As far as the other employees go -- I feel bad for them too, but what I said above applies to them too. They're likely being taken advantage of too, and they face the same choices.

Sorry to be such a downer, but it's what I've found to be true. Before you start hating every moment of your working days, get the heck outta Dodge, and leave behind only the essence of things remembered. (*Cough* *cough*)

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sign of crap to come, take another job with another company.

If they know you like the job, and they can shovel poo down you trap -- you've already lost.

At least you won't have to hunt for a new job on the sly.

---

If they don't care about you, why care about them. They are being paid much more than you to cover your ass and keep the store open. If they cannot do it, they can pay people more -- or suck up the losses.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Go elsewhere and screw these companys that screw their employees. I attempted to resign a few months back and that stirred the pot big time, my boss is off my ass, I now have the help I need and have flown across country 3 times to open new warehouses and we arent retail. Unless you love your Job start floating resumes. They dont seem to get it until you are gone or have 1 foot out the door. Companys treat people like numbers, dont let em.

11. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I mean this in a nice way: Don't ever think you're irreplaceable. They'll get by. Retail always does. Every employer does.

That said, do what's right for you.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Be careful, when you change jobs, you trade one set of problems and crap for another, especially in retail. Good luck.

13. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Good advice all around. I think I shall take it.

You're golden. Do you remember the Christmas episode of the Simpsons where Homer buys the astrolabe? It was so...unnecessary.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This is so true. We all want to feel irreplaceable and critical. But the bottom line, is that no one is irreplaceable and life goes on.

...and the older you get the more easily your are replaced by someone younger and cheaper.

Exactly.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, you could very well be right about retail.

I got canned from a professional job. Now I'm in a different one which is not full-time and which does not pay as well...and loving every minute of it! The loss of income is not insignificant, but it doesn't compare to the fact that once I left my last job (or it left me :D) and took this one, only then did I realize how absolutely miserable I was at my previous position.

The staff in my new job is fun to work with, and we all work as a team. My old job, I was the team, and other people in the department (with other jobs) were often nasty or hypocritical when I had to interact with them. I got no support from above, whereas here my boss really likes and appreciates me. The difference is like night and day.

(But what I really want to know is...what's this about being homeless in 21 days? Did I miss something?)

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oy. I bought a new townhouse (pre-construction) that was supposed to be ready sometime in the summer. Due to delays, I lost 2 buyers on my current condo. Now in contract with the third buyer and have to close by 10/30. New place still not ready, still a few weeks to a month away. I will be homeless on 10/31. Thankfully, I have money and will become a resident of the local Marriott Residence Inn.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Money is definitely important, but not the most important thing for sure. Sometimes a pay cut can have a liberating effect.

When you figure how much time you spend on the job and what sacrifices one must make, it sure helps if you enjoy what you are doing. Plus, if you enjoy your job, you will tend to do it better. :)

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Whether or not the job is "fun", would you call it a career? Think about what you want to do in the future, not just right now. I don't know if you're in school or not, but if its just something you can suck up and deal with, go ahead. But if you're looking for change in the future, there's no reason not to look for something else.

Hold out for while if you decide to get another job and don't quit until you have one to replace it.

Good luck,

D

19. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

A career? Definitely not. I'm in the midst of pursuing a graduate degree, and this was never looked upon as a long term arrangement. I don't mind hard work, which it can be at times, and I don't mind doing more than is expected of me. What I do mind is being lied to blantantly and not being properly compensated for my efforts.

The regional manager left us a voice mail message this morning admonishing us not to go over our payroll grid this quarter. If we do, she says, she won't get her end-of-year bonus holiday. I'm both impressed and disgusted with her audacity.

I already told my immediate boss I'm going to start looking for work elsewhere. Funny thing is, she's doing the same thing. Odds are that our respective two weeks' notices will be about 3 minutes apart on the fax machine.

20. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Corvus, I must agree with Tom Veil. Your best option is probably to quietly look for something else. Emphasis on the word "quietly".

I worked part time at a retail store many years ago. "Zayre Stores, Inc." It was a regional discount chain, along the same lines as Walmart or Target are today. I only worked there for seven months. People came, and people went, sometimes within the same week. Zayre upper management cared not. They did have one thing though, that could not be beat: What had to be the best tasting popcorn to be had anywhere.

Everybody needs to rant about their job once in awhile.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Glad to hear it's a matter of timing and bad luck, and not a foreclosure or something.

I stayed at a Residence Inn once. It's a very nice way to be homeless. :D

22. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It would seem the problem has now been resolved. I was phoned Friday morning by the VP of Sales (3 bosses up in the chain). He listened to what I had to say about the issue and said he would look into it. I expected to b e blown off, but he called again today (my home phone again) to let me know that while he couldn't authorize the entire amount of the raise I asked for, he did edge it upward a bit from the initial offer, plus he authorized the entire amount of back pay.

Needless to say, I was quite impressed that he actually took time out of his day to phone me personally and let me know he made it right.

23. klymr macrumors 65816

CONGRATS TO YOU!

I'm in a somewhat similar boat as you, in the fact that employers flat out SUCK! My job is custom designing jewelry, mostly wedding engagement rings. Although I realize I am not "irreplaceable" they'd be in more trouble if I left than the business has been left in in nearly two decades. The thing is, I am making on average 3-5 rings a week using a CAD/CAM process. I design the ring on the PC, then we have a mill that carves a wax model for casting. My boss over me trained me on the program because he was becoming too busy to handle all the work load that the new mill brought our business. Upon me learning the computer program (and after 2-3 months of self training, far surpassing my bosses expertise level in the program) I have taken over the load of custom pieces we make. He does maybe one a week on a good week to my 3-5 (or more). When he makes a model, it's half assed and requires a lot of tweaking after it's carved. Mine are made almost to speck and require VERY little, if any final touches made in the wax.

Well, since school has started up again, I have been getting farther and farther backed up in work. I got written up for not having a job finished on time due to a salesperson not giving me the ring size and other required details. I keep getting jobs with 2-3 days to finish before the due dates because the salespeople don't give them to me. I am definitely being taken advantage of by my employers. I make $8 an hour to do this work. Others in the field of work I'm in have told me to demand a 100%+ pay raise. If my boss isn't willing to do that, they ALL told me to walk realizing how important my position is. Our store policy is that I have one week to finish the design from the time the salesperson writes it up. Everyone on the forum has told me that my boss is an absolute idiot for setting a goal of one week on custom designs. They all agree that 4-6 weeks is a MINIMUM for something like this. The store owner (my bosses older brother, so the "head" boss you could say) has set it all up this way to outdo the competition.

My personal thoughts, as well as those if talked to, are that we should not be trying to outdo the competition in time, but rather quality. They say no one ever gets mad if you explain that it takes a little longer to make a quality piece of jewelry. They say to promise 4 weeks, and call the customer 2 weeks early to tell them it's done. Not promise a week and deliver a week later. Anyway, long story short, I'm waiting to talk to my bosses about this whole situation. Along with my boss writing me up, he told me he is working on his brother to get me a "substantial" raise. He wants to start paying per piece that I design, not by the hour, which would get me a LOT more money. So, now I'm in the boat of do I stay and deal with all this crap going on (BTW, I left out a lot of details) or do I go find a job that deals with graphic design (my intended field of study). So, that's my little rant. As soon as this semester is over I'm looking for graphic design related jobs since I'll know the programs better by then. Until then, I've got to wade through these loads of manure.