I need to recover files off an external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trotnixon, Oct 2, 2007.

1. trotnixon macrumors newbie

I accidentally deleted files from an external drive and stupidly emptied the trash.

How can I restore those files from an external drive.

The specs are:

G-Raid 320 GB drive using external power.
    Mac OS X 10.4.10

Thank you for any suggestions,

Chris

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Stop using that drive immediately. The files are only recoverable until they are written over. Use a program like Data Rescue to, hopefully, recover the files. Good luck.

3. afroee macrumors newbie

same problem

is they any chance of recovering the lost stuff if the external drive was used maybe once or twice. The folder had different other folders in it with files up to about 30GB...

4. MrCrowbar macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

I've been successull with "FileSalvage 6.0". I accidently deleted some stuff on my Firewire drive and wondered for a week where all that empty space came from... I used that external drive during that time, not knowing I had deleted something. If the drive to recover is not your system drive (where stuff gets written to when your RAM is full), chances are good that you can salvage it.

I could recover everything, only the filenames were gone. Spotlight helped though.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

As was mentioned above, Data Rescue II will give you a good shot at recovering those that have not been written over since then. You can download a demo at Prosoft that will run and show you the files that it would be able to recover if you go ahead and buy a serial number for it.

I consider it an essential for working on Macs and depending on how important those files are to you the $99 price might well be worth it to you even if only used once. You can find it cheaper elsewhere, but have to wait for a physical delivery.