Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Griffinity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I attempted to use Boot Camp Assistant to create a partition for Windows. Unfortunately it failed during the partition, in such a way that I believe it created a partition (my hard drive is now short 5gb), but Boot Camp doesn't recognize that a partition has been created. Therefore I can't use Boot Camp to remove it.

Anyone know of a way I can remove this 5gb partition without reformatting the drive? (Don't worry, though; I've backed up all my data.)

(A friend lent me Hiren's BootCD 9.5, but I can't tell if the partition tools will work on a Mac or not.)

Thanks for the help, people.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
I attempted to use Boot Camp Assistant to create a partition for Windows. Unfortunately it failed during the partition, in such a way that I believe it created a partition (my hard drive is now short 5gb), but Boot Camp doesn't recognize that a partition has been created. Therefore I can't use Boot Camp to remove it.

Anyone know of a way I can remove this 5gb partition without reformatting the drive? (Don't worry, though; I've backed up all my data.)

(A friend lent me Hiren's BootCD 9.5, but I can't tell if the partition tools will work on a Mac or not.)

Thanks for the help, people.

I will assume you are using Leopard here- and note that Disk Utility now offers a way to resize existing partitions without erasing the one you are enlarging (see Help in Disk Utility for details).

In Disk Utility's Partition tab, can you see more than one partition? If so then the above may work so check it out. The only reason I wonder if it will is that I believe the size you described is below the minimum for BootCamp so I really don't think it set up a valid partitiion, but Disk Utility will tell you that. Good luck with it- and if worse gets to worse a simple format and restore will do the job too (especially simple if you have backed up everything ahead of time with SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner!)

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Go into disk utility click on your root drive ( not the icon ) >partition tab > click on your windows partition > then the minus sign > then remove from the drop down

If you can see more than one partition that is,the above method doesn't require re-formatting as it only removes the windows partition

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.