I need to remove all the airport files from Leopard but can't find them!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by benyoung, Jan 8, 2008.

1. benyoung macrumors newbie

Hi all - heres hoping someone will be able to help!:confused:

I have an iBook G4 1.42Ghz with a not uncommon bad airport card (onboard card causes kernal panics). I've run Tiger for a long time now with no problems, simply by booting in safe mode and removing AirPort.kext and AirPort2.kext. This needs to be done after every system software update then the machine will run fine.

I haven't managed to install Leopard from DVD as it kernal panics even before i get to the "Choose language screen" - i'm guessing this is because Leopard DVD checks system is before setup? So i've installed leopard using Target Disk Mode - Great! Booted up in safe mode and removed all references of airport in System>Library>Extensions. Rebooted no problems.

However, after the first system update, KPs start, boot to safe boot and go to remove all airport instances (as has always worked in Tiger) and there isn't any! I'm confident it is the airport causing the problems but each time i do system update this is always going to happen!

Judging by the amount of other users in this forum and others that have similar iBook Airport KP problems, this may not be the first instance of this kind of thing.

Help Appreciated!

2. knowhate, Jan 8, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012