I need to replace my Superdrive (iSight G5 iMac). What can I use? I want the fastest!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by craig0ry, Jan 9, 2009.

1. craig0ry macrumors newbie

I'm about to open up my iMac G5 iSight and replace the stock 250 gb hard drive with a terabyte drive. While I'm in there, I want to replace my failing Superdrive. It won't burn anything, it can only read discs. Can I use any internal slot loading drive? I'm looking about on Newegg and I'm a little confused as to what my options are. I WILL NOT go external for a HD or DVD drive. To me that defeats the point of an all-in-one computer.

By the way, this is the THIRD time the Superdrive has failed on me, this is just the first time it has while out of Applecare. So weak.

Thanks in advance!

2. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

if the g5 isight is the same as normal g5s than itll be easy as hell unscrew 3 screws and take off the back and ur in there. Oh and btw to the OP uh so my drive isnt reading DL Dvds and it used to is that a sign of it starting to die, and it also makes weird sounds and cant read my burnt ubuntu copy

3. DavyC412 macrumors member

its not. you have to remove the front faceplate, and the screen to get to the insides. i just replaced a HDD on a imac isight a few days ago, its not fun.

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

I guess im still lucky to have a g5 :) although the isight are slimmer. Assuming

5. craig0ry thread starter macrumors newbie

The iSight iMac is a G5. And it is a pain in the ass to get the screen out of the way... That's why I'm not going in there twice. When the hard drive gets replaced, so does the Superdrive.

And yes, the DL problem was the first sign something was wrong. Then a high failure rate with regular DVDs... then CDs... then finally, it was unable to burn anything at all. It also spits the discs out so far they fall from the tower, so I'm always playing catch. Bleh!

Thanks for the link original replier!

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

7. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Hmmm ok if you find a good drive and buy tell me cause now i want to look for one lol, it wont boot from discs anymore.