I need to to replace my earbuds

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iRock1, Jan 27, 2012.

1. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Hi there. I want new earbuds for my iPhone 4. The requirements:

- Good quality construction
    - Good sound
    - Wired (I need the battery)
    - NOT in ear models
    - Volume controls
    - Button to control music and answer calls

Is there anything like this on the market? Someone suggested me the Jabra ACTIVE, but i'm not convinced at all.

Any ideas?

2. Mr D macrumors 6502

Check the Bose IEM2

I know you said not in ear, but these aren't the typical ear canal earbuds... check the reviews on them.

3. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

The Yuin PK2 is probably the best sounding earbud ever. However, it doesn't have any volume controls.

If you must have volume controls, consider the AKG K318. Sound is not as great as the Yuin PK2, but it's pretty close.

4. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

The reason which I don't like in-ear canal is because they tend to isolate the ambient sound, whether they are specifically designed for that purpose with some noise cancelling technology or not. And I don't like going for the street with absolutely no idea of what's happening around me.

I've read however that the MIE2i (I guess these are the ones you were referring to) doesn't isolate the external noise that much. Anyway, since I don't use these type of earbuds from a long time, I still think it's going to be a big difference between my latest Apple earbuds and these Bose in terms of possibilities of being ran over.

But the biggest problem, besides it's in-ear or not, is that the controls seems to be very crappy. Reviews don't lie: http://www.amazon.com/Bose-326223-0...?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

I don't like semi-open. Also I cant' find any remarkable review, so honestly I don't know how great or bad is the sound. :-(

5. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

6. Mr D macrumors 6502

the biggest issue you'll run across is finding a earbud that will answer calls with a mic on it. That REALLY limits what you have to choose from.

The reviews say the IEM2i's have bad controls? All of them?

Why not go to best buy and take advantage of their return policy?

7. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

What do you mean "semi-open?" Earbuds are earbuds, and that's what both are.

You can find TONS of reviews on the entire Yuin line. The AKG one is new, so you'll hard-pressed to read reviews. Plus, most audio reviews are garbage anyway. Just buy the AKG from Fry's and return them if you don't like they way they sound (after A/Bing them, of course).

8. Mr D macrumors 6502

How much did you buy the Yuin Pk2's for and how would you rate the cord quality?

9. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

I bought them on Amazon for $79.99.

Not sure how one would rate cord quality without actually cutting the rubber to examine the wiring. If you're asking about the durability, I've never had a cord break because of the casing. It has always been the inside, which again, I don't see how one can assess without cutting open the casing. The earbuds do look totally unassuming and one would never think how much they cost and how incredible they sound. I had a coworker listen to them and thought they sounded like crap, but then later blindfolded her and had her A/B them against the Apple earbuds and she then said they sounded incredible, and consequently embarrassing herself for allowing looks biasing what she actually hears.

The PK1 unamped sounded the same to me as the PK2, so obviously, the PK2 is the better buy. I don't have an amp so couldn't test the difference. The PK3 definitely does not hold a candle to the PK2 on ALL frequencies (but still sounds better than the Apple earbuds).