I need to update my laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LordTyroxx, Oct 15, 2008.

1. LordTyroxx macrumors member

Ok, so I've had my ibook g4 for a looong time, and I think it is time to update now. (I think it is about to die anyway)

I mean, I basically have Spore:galactic edition collecting dust on my counter because I can't play it without an intel mac with leopard.

I also do a lot of audio editing and the performance is so slow it kills me.

Since I plan on majoring in Multimedia arts and Music next year when I go to college, I was planning on getting the new 15" Macbook pro.

Is this a good idea? Should I get a macbook instead? How much of a significant change would there be between my ibook g4 and the new macbook pros?

2. Shownarou macrumors regular

Night and Day :D I've not heard any reviews on how the 9400 on the new Macbook's handle Spore. I do know; however, that the old Macbook's using the Intel integrated graphics would not play the game. If you're keeping your laptop around as long as you did your last one, I'd put the money down on a Macbook Pro.

3. LordTyroxx thread starter macrumors member

Ok. That's really good to know. I was a little worried because I looked at the comments on the stories about the MBP and everyone seemed to be disappointed.

Also, when my ibook isn't plugged in, it might last an hour. :p

So, your suggestion would be to wait for reviews on the new 9400 chip and if they are good, go ahead and buy?

4. Shownarou macrumors regular

Well, Jobs said that the 9400's are 5x the speed of the Intel chips they were using before. I'd just see if they've got Spore running on the new base macbooks decently, if so. Definitely.

5. LordTyroxx thread starter macrumors member

OMG!!! I have to buy!! I've waited long enough! Seriously!

After I see it running, I'll make a mad dash to the nearest apple store (about 3 hours away lol). Macbook pro, You're mine!

Thanks for your help.

Also, if anyone else would like to give me a few pointers (customizing options etc) feel free. I was thinking about getting 2.8 GHz because it is drool-worthy. lol

6. Shownarou macrumors regular

You are going with the MBP? Go for it! It'll definitely run on the Pro system!

7. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Any Intel Mac will be a huge improvement over an iBook G4, even an old-gen MacBook.

The new MacBook Pro should be so different there will really be no comparing the two.