I need to use my neighbours internet connection. Please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jakn09ab, Apr 10, 2011.

1. jakn09ab macrumors newbie

We want to share the expense and he has a third-party router. He has the internet connection and I suppose I could set my time capsule in his apartment. However I want my time capsule (airport extreme) in my own apartment as I need to use this for wireless printing etc. I need my express where my stereo is, so what to do!? Thus todays question is:
    Can I extend a third party network using my timecapsule and aiport extreme?
    Please anybody?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you put the Extreme into bridge mode, I believe you can connect to any wifi source. The online manual can guide you.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

are you living in an apartment?

Not that I condone, I don't, what you are doing but I have friends that do this.

depending where the connection is, one friend simplly drilled a hole just enough to pass a cable thru the wall and place a piece of furniture in front of the hole. Then the pirate has a router setup as a bridge with wireless access restrictions and so on.

The other friend just does it wirelessly with an AE. He has it set as an extension/bridge and manages access to his side through the access control.

you can get a refurbed AE for 59 at bestbuy on line and delivered to a store for free shipping

Hope that makes sense

5. jakn09ab thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I am living in an apartment. Where I used to live we did just that (drilling through the floors but it's too far here. I'm not sure how the rules are where you are living but I don't think it's illegal here. It's just cheaper to share. :)