Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AML707

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Hi, I am in desperate need of help My iBook G4 is not functioning anymore:eek: . It boots up but in the process of loading the OS it tells me i need to restart:confused: the Computer.I have restarted it several times but it still does the same. Thanks for the Help.:)

AML707

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
eva01 said:
boot from the install DVD and go to repair disk in disk utility

try to boot into single user mode
reset pram
I inserted the DVD but now it does not do anything it spins thats all (the DVD) the screen remains blank and i cannot enject th Disc. How do I reset the PRAM. I found out it is a Kernel Panic. Please Help

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Could also try booting in "Safe Mode" -- aka hold shift key -- and wait the 5-10 minutes to see if something in the startup items/login is crashing the machine.

---

Sorry, have you added RAM recently -- if you have upgraded you may want to downgrade to the original Apple RAM. The 3rd party RAM could possibly have died if it ain't a SW issue.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2006
AML707 said:
Hi, I am in desperate need of help My iBook G4 is not functioning anymore:eek: . It boots up but in the process of loading the OS it tells me i need to restart:confused: the Computer.I have restarted it several times but it still does the same. Thanks for the Help.:)

Zap the PRAM. Hold down Command-Option-P-R. Those 4 keys.

Wait until the computer makes the chime sound 4 times, before letting go.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
AML707 said:
I inserted the DVD but now it does not do anything it spins thats all (the DVD) the screen remains blank and i cannot enject th Disc. How do I reset the PRAM. I found out it is a Kernel Panic. Please Help

did you actually try to boot from the DVD or just put it in there?

Hold down C when starting up to try and boot.

And there are guides here that tell you how to reset pram.

AML707

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Ok i took out the Battery and now it asked me to type "mac-boot" so I did it and now i have a folder and a ? and a Mac Logo inside a folder. It also mentioned "Welcome to Open Firmware".

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Boot from the DVD, run Disk Utility and repair the drive.

If it keeps going to open firwmare immediately, that may mean the HD is corrupted, boot file got renamed, etc.

You need to get the machine to boot from the DVD, or as another method boot in FW target mode and try to repair the drive using one of the other machines.

AML707

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Sun Baked said:
Boot from the DVD, run Disk Utility and repair the drive.

If it keeps going to open firwmare immediately, that may mean the HD is corrupted, boot file got renamed, etc.

You need to get the machine to boot from the DVD, or as another method boot in FW target mode and try to repair the drive using one of the other machines.
It doesn't give me that option.I have tried pressing everything. Just right now it loaded completly but gave me again the kernel panic. I cannot eject the DVD anymore.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I understand that you have pressed "everything" but you sound like you are panicking. Please slow down and try this.

Power down the machine - press and hold the power switch for 6 seconds or more until it powers down -- briefly poking the button does not do it.

Restart the machine with the original OS DVD in the optical drive, and hold the "C" key down, no other, and continue holding the "C" key until the machine boots up all the way - you 'should' see the OSX installer come up on screen

It may ask for the preferred language. Respond appropriately. Do not go further into the installer.

You should see a menu at the very top of the screen, look for a menu that says Installer, click and hold, it should drop down a short list, one of which is Disk Utility, choose that.

Once Disk Utility is open, you should see the name of your hard drive in the list on the left side of its window, and below that, the name of the volume (what your hard drive is "named" when it is on your desktop. Select that volume icon by clicking once on it, then choose First Aid from the tabs at the top of the Disk Utility window, then choose Repair Disk.

Report to us what happens.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
You said.. in the process of booting up, right?

Do you know what a Kernal Panic is? If so, is this one? If not, is the "telling me to restart" thing a gray box with a power button behind it telling you to hold your power button down for about 10 seconds or something?

If it is a kernal panic, it's very, very possible it's hardware. :(

AML707

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
CanadaRAM said:
Have you already done the Repair Disk?
What happened with that procedure?
Yes, it still does the same thing " Restart Computer".

AML707

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
lilstewart said:
You said.. in the process of booting up, right?

Do you know what a Kernal Panic is? If so, is this one? If not, is the "telling me to restart" thing a gray box with a power button behind it telling you to hold your power button down for about 10 seconds or something?

If it is a kernal panic, it's very, very possible it's hardware. :(
Yes it is a Kernel Panic I looked up that message on Apples Support.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Can you zero out the hard drive in disk utility? that's what i'd do

hmm - installed *any* new hardware, most importantly, RAM on this iBook?

Kernal Panics come from Software and RAM, most of the time.

AML707

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
lilstewart said:
Can you zero out the hard drive in disk utility? that's what i'd do

hmm - installed *any* new hardware, most importantly, RAM on this iBook?

Kernal Panics come from Software and RAM, most of the time.
no i havn't.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Reformatting and zero'ing the harddrive would be my next step.. :)

See if it'll boot in firewire target disk mode to get some files, if any, off there

if it doesn't boot, well, reformat and then we'll go from there

AML707

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
lilstewart said:
Reformatting and zero'ing the harddrive would be my next step.. :)

See if it'll boot in firewire target disk mode to get some files, if any, off there

if it doesn't boot, well, reformat and then we'll go from there
Do i just connect it via Firewire to my Destop?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Yes after you boot into target firewire mode you would connect it via firewire to your desktop and it should just show up as an external drive.

You may in fact be able to run disk utility repair disk from there and see if it does better than the disk utility on the DVD

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Yeah, FireWire in both computers (Both need to be Mac) and turn on the iBook while holding "T"

edit: ugh, beaten by two :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.