I need volume access on Cover Flow!!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ferris23, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

When I work out at the gym I rest my Ipod Touch on the treadmill or whatever machine I may be using. Due to the fact that Apple put the damn earphone port on the bottom *annoying* I have to rest it on it's side otherwise it sits at a goofy angle because of the headphones coming out of the device, which of course brings my screen into cover flow.

Well if I want to adjust volume I have to either try to flip the thing around to try and get it out of coverflow looking like an idiot, or hit home, then music (all while keeping it up so it doesn't go back to coverflow)

It is very annoying and I have no clue why apple doesn't see fit to allow volume adjustment while in cover flow.

Am I alone in this request?

2. alexjdb macrumors member

I just hate the fact that CoverFlow is automatically enabled when you turn the iPod Touch/iPhone. It has no features at all besides play and pause, and it's really annoying when you need to change the volume or enable shuffle, etc. They should add either more features or an option to disable it. Or hardware volume controls on the iPod Touch (we have these on the iPhone :D).

3. delude macrumors 6502

That's gotta be annoying Ferris!

If you have your touch Jailbroken, then download the application 'PocketTouch' off Installer.

If not, could you hit the home button to go to the Springboard, and then double click home to bring up the controls? It all works when the iPod is tilted, just that the volume controls will be sideways due to the home screen only showing in portrait.

4. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Oh is it ever annoying. Also consider that while trying to do all this (basically just access volume) I am working out. So I have to fumble around with it as I try bust my ass on the eliptacle. It's a cluster f.

I do use the home screen volume controls but then functionality is limited to forward, back and volume. If I want a new album or artist I have to head back into music and fight cover flow again.

I'm not sure I want to Jailbreak my touch but if it helps this situation then I may. I pretty much just use my shuffle now because the touch can be a pain in the ass at times.

Don't get me wrong, I love the thing (use it on the john, in bed, in coffee shops or eating joints) but sometimes I just want to send it flying.

5. delude macrumors 6502

Well, PocketTouch is the only application I can think that will benefit you if you jailbreak. When you run the program it is basically a black screen, although you can have the song details at the top if you wish.

When the application is running, you can slide your finger to the right to move on a track, and to the left to go back. (These can also be reversed). If you slide your finger up then the volume goes up, and down and the volume goes down. If you shake your iPod then it will randomly shuffle to another track.
    Also, whilst the app is running the lock will not come on. (the screen dims as well to make it greener on the battery :))

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

7. delude macrumors 6502

8. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I have the same issue when I'm at the gym. I'm not going to jailbrake, although I am hoping Apple provides a solution for this with one of the upcoming releases.

9. lburkholder macrumors newbie

hack fix

This is a terrible hack of a fix, but you could get a pair of headphones with an in-line volume control or a separate in-line volume controller.

10. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

That sounds like a poor fix. I want someone to make an app that makes it have a virtual click wheel.

---