I need you guy's advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by justinwheelon, Feb 21, 2012.

1. justinwheelon macrumors newbie

Well my boss said I can buy a replacement Hard Drive for my late 2009 Macbook Pro because mine is only down to 20GB left from 160GB. (Not very big to begin with)

So I ask if you guys could put any Hard Drive in what would it be? I will no doubt pick the one that the most people recommend. I need a lot of space so I'm pretty sure SSD's are out...I have no clue about fan speeds, hard drive size etc so I am prepared to be taken to school by you guys! :)

I have 8GB RAM in this 13" MBP if that helps.!

Thanks for your help:!!!

~Justin

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Any laptop (2.5'') drive under 12.5mm thick will fit, buy whatever has good reviews and fits your budget on here: http://www.newegg.com/

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Hey Justin,
    Do you require your optical drive? If not, you can take some advantage of an SSD if you get this thing called an opti-bay. It allows you to place a second hard drive in your mac in the place of your disc drive. You could purchase a small SSD fo just your apps and your OS.

Alternatively, you can get a SSD for much less then your probably think.

In terms of hard-drives I have had excellent luck with Western Digital (WD)

~Paul

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I'm currently running a Crucial M4 512gig SSD. Plenty of space and the prices seem to be coming down again. Must be a technology refresh on the horizon.

Plus it hauls butt! [​IMG]

5. justinwheelon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, yeah that SSD was a bit too much right now, 600+ :eek:

I like the link you sent but it doesn't give any personal recommendations which is what I'm looking for

I am not doing this because I'm 'lazy' I was just hoping people would say "this one sucks" "this one is awesome" etc.

Anyway keep the suggestions coming!

----------

What do you guys think about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Internal-2-5-Inch/dp/B004I9J5OG

6. helios16v, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

helios16v macrumors regular

Right now NewEgg.com has 1TB 9.5mm Samsung drives on sale for $109.99, I'm buying two of them and the OptiBay conversion kit so I can put the second drive in my rarely used optical drive bay.

That could give you a hefty 2TB of space for around 250 bucks which I feel is an extremely reasonable price.

So it's smaller, cheaper, more space then that 750 GB that was posted, and you can buy two of them cause one will fit in your optical drive spot.

More specifically I'm referring to this drive.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152291