I need you guys help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FuuFuu, Jul 16, 2008.

1. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

So i'm switching from microsoft to mac, its crap and i hate the design. i found this awesome deal for a macbook, 1100 blackbook.

anyway the problem is my dad refuses to let me buy one. he believes macs are not good and i'm fine with my laptop that i have which is a sony vaio fz i bought last year. its a decent laptop except i can't carry it around anywhere since its 15.4 inches and its a microsoft ^^. if i get this laptop i'm probably going to sell mine which is like $800 on ebay.

so i need some help turning my dad into a mac and to let me pay for the laptop please!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Give him a virus. Heck, wipe his hard drive with one. Tell him it runs Windows.

There's no sense in the backwards thinking of people these days.

3. FuuFuu thread starter macrumors regular

FuuFuu

lol i don't think an offensive approach is a good idea. what if it fails? then i have a laptop with a broken hard drive......

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Ask him for clear reasons why he thinks that macs are no good and provide real evidence why he is wrong. In short do your research and then show it to him. I wouldn't use research from this site as he would probably believe it to be biased.

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree- give him solid evidence to his concerns about a Mac.

If you dad is the type that looks up to Consumer Reports, just get the last few computer reviews out of consumer reports at the library- that will convince him for sure. Apple is rated at or near the top of almost every category in CR.

If he subscribes or buys virus, spyware, etc. software let him know that will no longer be necessary with your new Mac.

6. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Ask him to watch some of the keynote presentation video from 2007 macworld. Que it to the introduction of Leopard. This video totally sold me on Apple and Leopard.

7. FuuFuu thread starter macrumors regular

FuuFuu

can i have a link?

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Here's a link to all the past keynotes known to exist. Hope it helps.

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

10. Razmo macrumors newbie

You could sign up for a class or get work in one of the fields that "require" apple equipment such as:

video production
    graphic arts
    sound production (start a band)
    iPhone code development...

We don't know much about your situation but it sounds like a positive approach is what your looking for.
    Maybe you should look at some of the "switch to mac" info on the apple website for ideas.

Best of luck to you.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

12. FuuFuu thread starter macrumors regular

FuuFuu

13. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

Is there an Apple Store nearby? In addition to showing him the guided tour you might also take your dad in and have him "test drive" a MacBook.

When I show people features like Expose and the two-fingered scrolling they are usually impressed. That might work on him, too.