I need your help to decide

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robin963, Nov 19, 2007.

1. robin963 macrumors newbie

I am planning to get a 2.2GHz MacBook.

My problem is customizing. I will use it mainly for internet, photos, and listening to music.
    My first plan was to get 4GB RAM which is $765 and get 250GB Harddrive which is $135 with the protection plan an taxes it will be $2655.74.
    I know its a lot of money for a MacBook but I am planning to keep it for a few years and I want that much RAM because I think is going to be more common to have 4GB RAM in the upcoming years.
    A lot of people are telling me to upgrade later and I could save a lot of money. The computer would cost $1692.74 if I just get the 1GB RAM and keep the 160GB Harddrive.
    What do you think? Should I save over $1000 or spend that much and have a really fast computer with a lot of space?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

DO NOT buy RAM upgrades from Apple. Buy it else where and fit it yourself, it's a doddle.

Unless you need a huge amount of built in storage an external drive will also get you more bang for your buck.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Agree this but wanted to add to the external drive thought. You need an external anyway for backup purposes in case your internal takes a dump. With this in mind, you could get a whopper (750GB+) and partition it for Time Machine, photos, tunes, stuff....

Kinda talking like $300-400 (RAM + external HD) to outfit the non-custom order (and have even more storage) as opposed to the $1000 to customize and then you still should get an external for backups.

Another option would be to replace the internal drive yourself and save $$ plus you would retain the original drive to put into an enclosure for extra storage. Again a money saver.

Hope this helps. -GDF

4. mlcolorado macrumors newbie

I think that you should plan on getting more RAM from Crucial because they offer good memory at good prices. For your hard drive, don't buy from Apple, their prices are really bad.

Good luck:eek: