I need your help (Wifi speedtest when closed)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rnelan7, Oct 14, 2010.

1. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

Here's my dilemma. I recently purchased a henge dock and like it a lot but when I dock my mbp wifi speeds sink. The only reason I bought the henge dock was to use my mbp with my tv. However, whenever the lid is closed on the mbp the speeds suffer and I can no longer get HD streams from Amazon. The quality looks horrible but as soon as I open the lid back up the speeds are fine. From doing a speed test I get 13mb opened and 2-3 closed. Does anyone else have these problems? Should I take the Macbook in to get looked at? Right now my henge dock is almost useless because I can't use it for my intended purposes.

I did test the speeds without being docked and just closed on my desk, the speeds also suffer this way.

2. alexpp macrumors newbie

Hey buddy,
    have you found an answer to your issue?
    I'm having the same problem, and initially I thought I had resolved it by keeping my mac horizontal, rather than straight. I even tried to move it across my desk, but it seems the wi-fi component is not quite happy with running on a closed setup.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

IIRC, the antenna is part of the screen assembly, so closing the lid blocks the wi-fi.

4. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I'm finding the same thing, although I refuse to believe the clever people at Apple wouldn't have thought of a way around this, knowing that a good number of people use their macbooks in the closed position with external display/controls??! Might email Henge, see what they have to say.....