I need your help!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -EmilyKerr, Jul 27, 2011.

1. -EmilyKerr macrumors newbie

Hello,

This is my first time posting in here so hopefully you guys will be able to help me out.

My macbook pro was working fine this morning, now as I go to turn it on, it doesnt work. I hear the chime but the screen stays black. The battery is chagred, and is plugged in, but still nothing. I have not spilled anything on it, nor have I downloaded or installed anything new in the past year.

As we speak I can hear the fan going, and the computer is very hot.

I currently have it plugged into my old charger (used for macbook, not mac book pro) my mac seems to respond differently when charging with this old one (it takes longer) I have not tried my new charger yet. Not even sure if that makes a differnce or not.

On a side note, it has been acting up lately. I will charge it fully, but when unplugged it only lasts about 20 mins.

Now I'm not sure if its something to do with the battery, or if its the motherboard, or what.

How much is it to just get looked at? I dont believe that it is under warranty anymore.

Thanks for your help!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Use your new charger, stop using the old one as the watts are probably different. Apple won't charge you to look at it if it is under warranty, is it?
    I would reset the SMC.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

What year is it? Try Coconutbattery and see what it says.
    Coconutbattery

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried turning your screen brightness up? I've had mine boot up on occasion with the brightness all the way down. For charging issues try resetting the SMC. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    Make note of the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section in the link above.

5. -EmilyKerr thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I reset the SMC?

It's a 2007, I don't think its under warranty anymore, I'll have to check all my papers when I get home

6. simsaladimbamba

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click the link in my post or those posted by jessica. and simsaladimbamba for instructions.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those searching for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

If your Mac has the nVidia 8600GT graphics card and is displaying the symptoms you are mentionning, you are probably eligible to get a free logic board replacement at your local apple store.

Seeing as you mention it is a 2007, I'd bring it into the Apple Store for a diagnosis and see how that goes.

FWIW, the macbook and macbook pro chargers are interchangable, but the macbook is only 65W vs the macbook pro's 85W, so it's normal for it to take longer to charge.

9. -EmilyKerr thread starter macrumors newbie

So I went home lastnight, and plugged my macbook into the normal macbook pro charger, and it started up no problem. As soon as i got to work today, I plugged it in, with the macbook pro charger..and same problem as yesterday. SO its nothing to do with my comptuer, because it works fine at home... just as soon as I get to work, I get the black screen...Im stumped

10. simsaladimbamba

Did you do that SMC Reset you have been advised to do and linked to two times directly and one time indirectly?

And just so we know, what exact Mac and Mac OS X version are you using?