I Need Your Knowledge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EmptyCalm, Jan 24, 2008.

1. EmptyCalm macrumors member

Ok so i'm thinking about buying a macbook air but this will be my first laptop and i know nothing about laptops. I'm about to start college and that's what i'll pretty much use it for. THis may sound retarted but is this laptop considered fast? You know when your surfing the web i cant stand slow speeds.

o BTW i look up on apples page and saw that macbooks come with a music program that lets them edit, make music. Will this laptop have that program?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Buy a MacBook Pro.

If you mean Garage Band, yes it will.

3. EmptyCalm thread starter macrumors member

i would but this thing is just to sexy..honestly i'm a tech geek i like all the new stuff. i got an iphone then i bought a ipod touch just to have it. It's bad i know

4. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Ignore Sky Blue, he attempted to answer only one of your questions before jumping on the MBP's dick.

The MBA will be sufficient for you for college (assuming your not a film major that has to do heavy editing) The processor in them is just below that of the MacBooks, you won't notice a difference in day-to-day use, and it comes with a good chunk of RAM. For internet, it has 802.11n, which is the fastest wireless internet available in Macs, so the only limitation there will be in your connection. And yes, it does come with Garage Band, it is part of the iLife 08' Suite.

The MPA will suit your needs fine.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Keep in mind that your computer will have almost nothing to do with how fast you surf the web. A G3 iBook will load pages as quickly as a C2D Macbook; it doesn't take much processing power to drive Firefox. Any sense of speed will be a direct result of your internet bandwidth.

6. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Internet speed will be based on your campus' output of the speed.

For you, the Macbook Air is perfect. If you decide it's too expensive go for a Macbook

7. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

The one draw back i can see is the internet. uni, in the uk at least, have poor wifi at best so you would need to have a wired connection which the macbook air cant do (one way around it would be to buy a wireless router and make your own wireless network, more money).
    It just makes sense for you to buy a macbook, more computer for less money ( dvd drive, faster processor, ethernet etc. ) so you can have more money for going out and drinking! woo!!

8. EmptyCalm thread starter macrumors member

wow thanks, im gunna buy it. I probably wont watch dvd's on the laptop(i'll just put movies on my ipod) and im not a big music editor, its just to have fun i guess. So 1.6 or 1.8? Three thousand dollars is alot of money, is it worth it?

9. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

If you want 1.8 but dont want to spend $3k, order a 1.6 online, and upgrade the processor to 1.8. The huge pricetag comes from the SSD drive upgrade, not the processor upgrade.

10. EmptyCalm thread starter macrumors member

yea im going with the 1.6

thanks for the help

11. (õ) macrumors newbie

Just keep in mind that you may want to purchase a CD drive to go with it. It's interesting that you label yourself as a tech geek but have no idea if a Laptop would work out for you. Even more how you so directly associate the laptop with internet speeds.

Anyways, the Macbook Air would be superb, because it's pretty fast and very lightweight.

12. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Wrong....

USB Ethernet adaptor is an inexpensive optional extra...

13. EmptyCalm thread starter macrumors member

What i'm saying is that i like to have all the new stuff because..well i don't why its just cuzz i guess i know i can buy it. I didnt mean techgeek the guys who open computers to check whats inside. I am by no means technology challenged, it's just i have never had a laptop and no nothing about RAM, SSD, etc.

14. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

RAM is part of every computer...