i need your opinion...sell as used..?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comda, Apr 9, 2015.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings MacRumors.

Here is my issue. My Friend just recently had wine spilled all over her 15 inch Retina macbook pro. I have not seen this laptop personally but according to 4 people, the main board is corroded and isnt able to be saved.

Here is whats bothering me. She wants to sell the unit as parts. Claiming that the battery SHOULD be ok, so should the hard drive and the screen.

She hasnt tested these parts its just an assumption. The screen i dont see why it should, but idk if the hard drive is removable on these units and since its right on the motherboard it might be corroded as well. The battery could have taken some damage too right?

She wants $600 for the lot. I personally think that for a Hard drive that may or may not be removable (help me out here is it or not) and it may or may not be corroded as well as untested a battery and a screen is way over priced. This morning she was offered $450 and said too low.

What do you think guys? help me out. Because my pet peeve is seeing others being ripped off from the apple name. Just like shops sell PowerPc macs for hundreds.

2. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

What are you trying to do? Are you trying to buy it from her?

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The logic board itself is most of the cost of the laptop. If it's corroded, you pretty much don't have a lot of value left.

Also, I think it's safe to assume that with spilled wine, the battery, keyboard and everything in the bottom portion is damaged to some extent, except maybe the aluminum which can be sold for scrap.

The top case and screen, NEW, is $400 on iFixit. I wouldn't realistically expect to get much more than that for something like this.