I need your opinions! Help me! [Return or repair?]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bkribbs, Jun 23, 2013.

1. bkribbs macrumors 65816

A week ago tomorrow, I ordered a refurbed rMBP.

2.6 GHz
    16 GB RAM
    512 GB SSD

I received a top of the line for a 2012:

2.7 GHZ
    16 GB Ram
    512 GB SSD.

I love it.

However- today I was on Safari for about 20 minutes. I slept the computer and woke it back up within a minute or two. I could VERY clearly tell that the safari search bar, and the right side of safari had decided to camp out on my screen at the login screen. I couldn't see the rest really but I'm assuming its because that part of the screen is a lighter color background.

Its also apparent when I scroll to another space- I can see the entire outline of safari. Given that I haven't been on here for more then 30 minutes, I can see this being a huge problem later on.

I was going to just hope I didn't have IR and not look into it, but once it came up, I did look, and I have an SJA1 screen.

So- what should I do?

I could request it be returned and rebuy, but may end up with a 2.6 GHz model. And as far as I can tell everything about this computer I have other then the IR is good. Plus I could just get another SJA1.

I could request replacement, but since I paid for the 2.6 GHz, am I going to get one of those?

Or should I request mine be repaired, getting a new screen installed? And maybe while they have it apart should I request a reapplication of the thermal paste? Also- if I get a replacement, should I / can I request SJA2 vs the samsung? I've heard SJA2 has better colors.

Just curious to know what you all would do.

Thanks for reading!

2. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

Nice new MacBook Pro! If I were you I would bring it in for a repair. If you return it and buy a new one chances are you will get the 2.6ghz model, and will most likely still end up with the SJA1 screen and be back in the same place with the downgraded processor. If you have it replaced, it seems like they are replacing the screens with either SJA2 or samsungs screens and you would be able to keep the 2.7ghz processor. Also, I would definitely mention you do not want an SJA1 screen when you go to have it replaced. Worth a shot. Best of luck!

3. xnview macrumors member

I would also bring it in for repair and cross your fingers for a Samsung display. If they give you a 2.6 GHz processor you'll not notice the difference, and it's still a lot better than an defect screen

4. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

5. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

I have the SJA2 and love it. No IR at all. However I have not compared it with a Samsung screen but from what I've been reading people seem to say the SJA2 has better color. However, I have also read that once people calibrate the Samsung it looks just as good. It's probably nothing you would really notice anyways.

6. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok cool. Also, is that something they can do in store or do I have to drop it off?

7. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

It is done in store but you typically have to leave there for a day or two. That's at least what I had to do last year.

8. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok I guess I will. I just hate that my closest apple store is an hour away.

Has anyone ever had a problem with getting their screen replaced? Or can I walk right in, show it to them, and no problem?

9. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Some Geniuses deny service initially because the IR is pretty unnoticeable, but just repeat it's a fault and it should be replaced.

10. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok I can do that! Thanks for all your help!

11. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Am I allowed to request a certain screen? And if so which should I request?

12. LogiTek macrumors newbie

I don't believe you have a choice - it's whatever they have. I had bought a new rMBP just a few weeks before realizing WWDC was around the corner. I returned it within the refund period. It had a Samsung screen. I then re-purchased the same BTO rMBP after and just got it last week, and it has the SJA2 (2nd Gen LG screen). I noticed the colors seem more bright and white is whiter and black is darker. I was worried about the IR and even went to the Apple store to talk to someone about it - they said they are moving away from Samsung (for obvious reasons). I don't have any IR - I have tested everything just to make sure. I also have AppleCare so I figured if anything happens in the next 3 years, I'll just bring it in and deal with it then. For now, I am loving the new LG screen.

13. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Has anyone with a yellow samsung screen gotten rid of the yellowing? I'm afraid I'll get stuck with that.

14. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Or what are the chances I can convince them to give me the same config on a 2013? Doubt they'd replace it, but I am still easily within the 14 day period.

15. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

you prfer the lg over the samsung?

16. bkribbs, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

The SJA2 is good. None to very few reports of IR, and better color then Samsung.

Since this is now the bottom post and I want my questions to be seen-

thoughts on SJA2 vs Samsung

or can I ask for a replacement since I'm in the 14 day window still? If I can get a replacement do I want the 2013 equivalent, even if the l3 cache would go down by 2 mb? I've heard the 2013 may cool better? Unsure what I want to do!

17. LogiTek macrumors newbie

I was worried at first, but after using both brand new machines - I think the LG SJA2 has a better screen. That's my opinion, I did not use them both side-by-side but when I received this one last week I noticed how much more crisp the colors and brightness was. It could just be in my head, but either way I am sure both screens are amazing. My partner also said how much better this screen looked from the one I got a few weeks ago. I was just about ready to return it since I am still within my 14 days, and keep trying to get a Samsung, because of the IR issues - but I havent been able to duplicate any of them. If it happens a year out - I'm sure whatever replacement screens they have by then will be corrected and I'll just have them swap it out. For now, I think this one is pretty damn good looking!

18. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Alright- so I went in and they ran the test. For the record they run a 6x5 or so checkerboard for 3 minutes then 1 minute of a very dark screen. Then check to see if they are there.

Mine barely showed the squares, if it did. But I definitely see IR (they call it image persistence btw) when I use Safari for about 20 minutes, it will stay for a long time.

I'm headed out of town for a month in a few days, and this store didn't have the parts in stock. I'm now in their system as needing a replacement so I should be able to if I want to.

I snuck a look at his iPad as he was ordering and all they are using is Samsung screens. Do people with the Samsung screen have it calibrated and looking good to fix the yellow-ness of the screen?

In a month when I return I will probably be posting a poll and asking for more opinions, but for now- is it better to keep SJA1 (as long as the IR isn't killing me) which I have heard has better color/contrast or the Samsung which I have heard is yellower with less contrast but no IR?

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My screen looks fine. And yes it has been calibrated along with my other computers, my printers, etc.

Skip the poll. Do you really want some random people you've never met online to make your decisions for you?

FWIW, I have both a LG and Samsung display; can't tell the difference between the two after calibration. So the question should be do you care about IR or not?

20. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree with you about the poll if the screen can in fact look fine. I have just read a lot about how they always look yellow. If it looks yellow I'd want to see what people think. Perhaps you could share the calibration profile you have used?

If however, upon researching (and probably even if not) I find the yellow isn't a problem, I will be switching my screen out come August!

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That would kind of defeat the point of creating custom calibration profiles if they're shared between computers ;)

22. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

I do suppose it would lol.

Did your laptop come with the Samsung or was it installed after a bad screen? And did it originally look pretty yellow?