i Never plug out charge cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sa3er, Dec 13, 2011.

1. sa3er macrumors member

hi guys
    one question. well i put macbook in a table like a desktop always. actually the charger is always connected. i never disconnect charger cable from my macbook. when i click battery icon it says power source : power adapter
    its ok ? i mean my battery will not boom ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Batteries need to be exercised to stay healthy. You should be unplugging and running on battery power for a few hours every few days. If you don't, your battery will die faster than it should. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your battery's health may not be very good anymore. Why not try unplugging it to see how long it lasts or use coconutBattery to see how well its health is.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

battery wont boom but like others say you need to exercise the battery meaning if you start now to use it off the charger you might wonder why the battery is dying fast

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, I'd recommend iStat Pro, as coconutBattery has some known issues.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Read http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

7. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

Question regarding out-of-charge use. Does the Macbook lower settings by itself when it's out of charge? As in, it's not in its full potential mode?

For example, on my current laptop (Asus), I can play just about any game while plugged in, but once plugged-out, I can barely play a movie without it skipping frames. It has something to do with the computer powering down most of the intense hardware like GPU to save battery.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For notebook Macs, check your Energy Saver settings in System Preferences. For Settings for: Power Adapter and Battery, make sure Optimization is set to: Better Performance. Of course, this setting will consume more battery power.

9. malman89 macrumors 68000

[To Suno] Right, and your Windows computer is doing the same thing. If it has discrete graphics and an Intel integrated GPU, it's going to revert to the integrated, as well as tone down other processes to save your battery. You can override these settings either in your Power Management section and/or if there's any GPU software included with your laptop.

10. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I had a 2008 MBP and kept it charged all the time where after 2 years, it had less than 70 cycles and the battery had to be replaced.

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

This is sage advice. If one takes the time to read what Apples provided in the link above, and follows it, you'll enjoy excellent results. In twenty years I've never had an early or premature failure with an Apple battery. Many PowerBooks & MacBook Pro's later, I'd say that's quite amazing.

12. sa3er thread starter macrumors member

iSate: cycles:89
    health : 88%
    we cool ?

also if charging always kill battery why the ****** apple don't release an update to do something which make macbook disconnect sending energy to battery when its full ? bcoz i'm sure no body plug the charge cable and disconnect it on time ...

13. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Most people use their MBP as intended...as a notebook computer that gets unplugged, carried around and run off the battery pretty regularly. You're in the vast minority, using it as a desktop computer, which isn't really what it was made for.

Apple tells you how to properly care for the battery and gives specific instructions for what you need to do if you're not using the battery regularly. If unplugging it once or twice a month is too much work for you, expect to need to purchase a replacement battery much more often than you otherwise would. Your battery will not explode, it just won't stay healthy as long as it would if you were exercising it regularly. I fail to understand why you're upset at Apple for something that's common to all notebook computers.

14. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Have you seen any other laptop that does that?

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

The battery's chip already does it as it is.

Thing is, batteries are meant to be used, leaving your computer plugged in and fully charged all the time is actually decreasing the lifespan of your battery as it is not getting any exercise.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When a battery is fully charged, it stops charging it, even if it's still plugged in. You would know this if you took the time to read the Battery FAQ that I posted. That's not the issue. The issue is if you don't unplug and run on battery power from time to time, your battery is always fully charged. The electrons aren't moving and the battery dies quicker. It's really not difficult at all to simply reach up and unplug the MagSafe adapter every few days and let it run on battery for several hours, then plug it back in.

17. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You didn't read any of the information provided to you here. Being dumb and then blame Apple. Way to go!