I never press the button!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Tilli85, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Tilli85 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I really like the Apple Watch and I am using it since day 1. But one thing I never use is the button on the side (for opening the Friends/Contact view). If I want to phone someone I use my iPhone and if I want somebody a message, I just use Siri instead ("Hey Siri, send a message to…"). Since I live in Germany and we don't have Apple Pay, this button is almost useless. That's a shame, since it can be pressed without the need to look at the watch.

Examples / use cases:
    When you start the stopwatch, the button could be used to pause it. You don't have to look at the watch, just press the button.

When you are listening to music, the button could be used to pause or skip the track.

When you use your watch as a Keynote remote, the button could be used to switch to the next slide. So much easier than to touch the display at the right spot.

When you have a timer running and you press the button, the Watch could say something like "3 Minutes remaining".

What do you think? Do you use "the button"?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The way it is now you got to look as the watch defaults back to the watch face pretty quickly.

Maybe one day Apple will give you more options.

3. Devie macrumors 6502a

4. friedmud macrumors 65816

Do you mean the Apple Pay Button? Because that's all I use it for...

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Unless I'm mistaken I don't think you can send drawings or heartbeats without that button to other Apple watches.

6. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Love my "dedicated" Apple Pay button, use almost every day, sometime couple times a day.

7. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I use it mostly for sketches, although I just used it for Apple Pay, which was pretty slick.

8. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yeah, aside from playing around the only time I've ever used it is for Apple Pay (and even then only like 4 times or so). I agree it's a shame that one of only two physical buttons is virtually worthless. I definitely hope the button becomes customizable. I think it could be useful for during workouts in particular. Whether it be to start/stop, control music/podcasts, change settings, etc.

9. lionsy macrumors 6502

The side button? That's my pay for stuff button! I use it multiple times a day! :p