I never thought i'd find this type of problem in mac...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jinsou, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Jinsou macrumors regular

Jinsou

Well, a little bit ago i bought an APExtreme, and like 2 days ago i bought an WD500gb passport, and used it for Time Machine (locally) usb connected to my MB. So i thought to myself, hey, let's make the Initial Backup locally so i don't have to send 100Gb over the air. Everything works as a charm, but then i connect my passport to APE, and everything goes as planned, MB sees it and everything, I can write/read and all is smooth... BUT... when i set up TM it sees an additional backup but starts making a new one instead of writing on top of the locally made... sending 100Gb over the air... well the problem is my ISP only allows 40Gb a month which i never use, but now this is trying to ruin that.... Is there any Workaround to this? or is it just the way it works... THANKS!

Jin

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Over the air backups go over the LAN and don't count against your cap, they just take forever. TM likely thinks it's being setup somewhere else, and thinks it needs to start back from the beginning. You may want to just let it run overnight for the initial backup. Or your could plug in via ethernet, at gigabit speeds it shouldn't be much different from copying to a directly attached USB disk.

3. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

The 40GB a month that your ISP charges you should only be for information sent over the internet, not over your local network.

4. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Your ISP doesn't have anything to do with your local network so don't worry about the data flow. The reason that it doesn't accept local backups over wireless has something to do with TM's filing system. The only way to possibly get it done quickly is to make the initial backup over ethernet with the drive connected to the AEBS. Now this doesn't insure a fast initial backup since TM's software is pretty slow. I set mine up with ethernet and it took forever so I tried setting my AEBS to 5 Ghz 11n and it still took a long time.

5. 1ne macrumors regular

I had the same exact problem. Give this a go... My backups was done locally. Check your WD500 under disk utility and make sure it is format to GUID Partition Table.

6. cmwade77 macrumors 6502a

As others have said this has nothing to do with your ISP, but I would definitely be looking for a new one without the CAP, I just don't like them in principle, even if you never get anywhere near them.