Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I left my iPhone around where my nephews were playing. Big mistake. They somehow lost the sim card tray. There was no sim in the phone at the time as I keep my main sim in my XS Max. I ordered a new one of Amazon but that didn't work with any sim card I tried. Are there differences in trays between the various iPhones? It went in easily enough but just wouldn't work.

So my XR is effectively an iPod Touch. I'm lucky in that I have an XS Max as my main phone.

What should I do? I feel annoyed that the one from Amazon didn't work and I lost a few Pounds in money. I just want it working again.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I'm afraid, in a pique of anger I threw away the one I got from Amazon. Never mind, a local shop is going to help me.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I don't know what I was doing, throwing the one I got from Amazon but I simply couldn't get it to work, I tried it with 2 different sims. Aren't the sim trays all the same across the Apple line up of phones?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I don't know what I was doing, throwing the one I got from Amazon but I simply couldn't get it to work, I tried it with 2 different sims. Aren't the sim trays all the same across the Apple line up of phones?
I think the SIM trays for the Chinese versions of the Xr and Xs are dual SIM trays. Maybe that's what you ordered and put the SIM in the wrong side for the US Xr.

Reactions: Ffosse

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I think the SIM trays for the Chinese versions of the Xr and Xs are dual SIM trays. Maybe that's what you ordered and put the SIM in the wrong side for the US Xr.
Most likely. I have a good shop near me where the owner will order a new tray for the XR and put it in with my sim of choice. He only charges a pound or so for his time. I think the trays are around £5.

Strange, but the sim-less XR can still contact emergency services.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Most likely. I have a good shop near me where the owner will order a new tray for the XR and put it in with my sim of choice. He only charges a pound or so for his time. I think the trays are around £5.

Strange, but the sim-less XR can still contact emergency services.
In the US, all cell phones are required to be able to connect 911, even if they aren't connected to a mobile account. In theory, you could take a flip phone from 10 years ago that's been disconnected and still reach 911, as long as the battery still works.

I would imagine the UK has similar rules.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I read that it was different for different countries. It's obviously a benefit if you don't have a sim.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Y'all are really gonna risk a $1,000 phone with a $5 third party SIM tray on Amazon?
Unbelievable!
Call Apple or visit the Apple Store, they'll sell you an original part that's the correct colour too .

Reactions: internetrando
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.