I now have 3 PowerMac G4's, and 2 iMac G3's.. what to do with them?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by alexreich, Oct 3, 2011.

1. alexreich, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

PowerMacs just seem to end up at my feet these days. :)

I recently acquired another iMac G3, and yesterday got two PowerMac G4's for $20. What should I do with these extras?

BTW
    I already had a PowerMac G4 (used as a home server) before I got two more yesterday, so what should I do with these extras?

I already use one of the iMac G3's as a kid computer (the one with a non-functional Ethernet port), but what should I do with the other one?

EDIT 1:

I would like to upgrade one of these PowerMac G4's and use it as an old gaming rig, but the upgrades are so expensive! Just look at these prices:

RAM: 2GB PC100 (512MBx4) RAM $80 (cannot find 512MB RAM sticks for less than $20 each)
    Processor: 1.6GHz (single) $160 (cheapest processor upgrade I see for the Sawtooth)
    Graphics Card: I don't even know what options there are. (Help?)

Is there any CPU upgrade for the PowerMac G4 "Sawtooth" that isn't ridiculously expensive? That's the most important thing... I already have 1GB RAM, so that's not too much of an issue.

2. Nova77 Guest

Wtf man, do you homework. Upgrading doesn't cost that much.
    RAM cost = $20-30 for 4X 512 MB sticks
    Processor = $20-90 grab a CPU from another apple G4
    Graphics Card = $20 for a Radeon 9000 Pro (standard on the mid-high end G4 MDDs back in the day), $80-150 for a kickass Mac one (flash a PC one if you don't mind the trouble and don't want to pay)

Other than that, just grab the parts from both G4s and put the best possible in one of these two.

Now just work and find where to get good deals.

3. stroked Suspended

stroked

Give the kids an upgrade with one of the G4s. Those iMac G3s look good, but they are way too slow to use. Use one for spare parts.

Now if you can tell me what to do with the 4 eMacs i just acquired.

4. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Where are you finding these prices? I look for these parts at legitimate websites (I won't buy on eBay) all the time and see nothing you've said.

Also, if I'm understanding correctly, you just basically said that all G4-based Macs have the same CPU socket? Meaning that I could swap any processor from one G4 to another?

I'll look into the Radeon 9000 GFX card.

Thanks for your input nonetheless!

5. Nova77 Guest

Ebay IS a legitimate site. You got to change your mind, buying on ebay in 2011 is much, much safer than buying used stuff from "traditionnal" classified adds. Make a Paypal account, that way you get both Ebay buyers protection and Paypal protection. Thats were you will find good upgrade deals.

I bought most of my G4 upgrades parts on Ebay and had no problem. I bought a processor by meeting a guy from a classified add: I got ripped (guys was an ******* because the CPU was dead).

Not all G4 parts fit together, so you better verify this. But if I remember it right, all G4 CPUs from the sawtooth to the quicksilver fit together. I've read a dual 500 mhz from a Gigabit ethernet model will work, don't quite remember for the others. Search about quicksilvers CPUs, they are the highest. G4 MDD CPUs won't fit in.

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

If your not prepared to use eBay your going to have a nightmare finding any form of cheap CPU upgrade, especially one new in the box as I believe nearly all the G4 compatible upgrades have been discontinued, and even those that are still around are going to be very expensive.

7. Tyroler macrumors member

Tyroler

I have here a G4 iMac,3 Mac G4 MDD and a Mac G4 PPC 1.8Ghz,and a Mac G5 2.0 Ghz,and a G5 iMac 1.6 Ghz and a G5 iMac 1.8 ghz
    I could sell you some :D

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

There are much cheaper options than using a Power Mac G4 as an old gaming rig. Those things are still selling for a lot despite being obsolete.

9. Nova77 Guest

I saw a PowerMac G4 1.8 ghz (sonnet upgrade) with 1.5 GB RAM for sale last week. $75 CAD ($72 USD). Most old PowerMac G4s sell from 30 to 100 bucks. Thats what I call cheap.

Not to mention what the OP said....
    You don't really need to upgrade to make an old school gaming rig. If you plan to play OS 9 games, most would work on a G3 anyways....