I/O error Macbook Pro 2009

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eca0, Jan 10, 2011.

1. eca0 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

I have a Macbook Pro 13 from the summer of 2009. After Christmas I decided to upgrade my hard drive and memory. This is what I got.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=samsung_spinpoint-_-22-152-237-_-Product
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226019

For about a week everything seemed to work perfectly. I then began to have problems almost every day (finder crashing, etc). I reinstalled OSX probably 5 times using my previous account until finally did a clean wipe and reinstalled OSX again. It now seems to be working for the most part, but booting takes about two minutes. It gets stuck on the grey screen with the Apple logo with the turning gear for a couple of minutes before it boots. Normally it wouldn't bother me too much, but after the problems I was having before, I really wanted to make sure that there was no problem with my new hard drive or memory. After doing the usual suggestions for slow boot time (resetting PRAM, disconnecting external devices, repairing disk permissions, etc.) nothing changed. I booted into verbose mode and it seems to hang up for awhile before listing

disk0s2 i/o error

It does this twice before booting, hanging up for about a minute before giving the error.

I am not sure if i should return it under warranty because I am not sure its broken. Like I said, it seems perfectly fine right now with the exception of the boot time. Using the Apple Hardware Check, even the extended check, didn't give any errors. The SMART status for the hard drive is verified. Is this clearly a hard drive issue, or could it be something else? Has anyone else had a similar problem?​

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Put the original drive back and see if the problems persist. If not ditch that samsung drive. If so put the original ram back, if it works return the ram and try the samsung with the original ram. I actually prefer the seagate 750GB 7200 rpm drive to anything from samsung.

Cheers,

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The Spinpoint is a pretty good hard disk drive, but like anything, lemons do occur. As said, try booting with the factory drive.

The RAM you purchased seems to have good reviews but there are numerous documented cases of users having issues with RAM upgrades although this doesn't sound like it is the issue.

4. eca0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, Thanks for the prompt response!

I am right now posting from my old hard drive which does not seem to have the I/O error at boot that the Samsung did. I will probably return it soon.

Would it be best to go through Newegg or Samsung to return the hard drive? It would appear that Newegg has a 15% fee for replacing a hard drive, but I have heard good things about Newegg's customer service.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Newegg usually will take back defective gear w/o restocking if you order something else. Contact customer support for assistance.

I've only used 4 Samsung drives over the past 2 years and 2 of them died within 6 months. I've had back luck with them and will not buy them.

Best of luck to you.

Cheers,

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Just to verify. These issues you are experiencing have a 99.99% chance of being the result of a faulty HDD.