I officially hate FaceID on the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Donnation, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Donnation macrumors regular

Donnation

Yes I know, deal with it or move on, but I hate it. I hold the iPad in landscape mode 99% of the time. Any time I’m needed to log into something or even just unlock my iPad I see the “camera covered” and I have to lift my hand up and then let it unlock or log in for me. I know, first world problems, but this is a first world problems forum so I’m making mine known. I really hate this and wish there was another camera somewhere that would fix this problem for me (even though I know that’s not really feasible).

2. Marzel macrumors regular

I'm having the exact same problem. FaceID accuracy and sensitivity on the iPad Pro is a lot better than on the iPhone but my finger is always covering it...

3. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

The alternative with the home button required you to move your hand and hit the home button every time. Hopefully you'll adjust.

4. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

I can respect this post. I don't have the new iPads but I think the way I hold an iPad would not conflict with the camera.

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Turn it the other way and you won't have that problem.

6. Donnation thread starter macrumors regular

Donnation

Yes , but it just feels so unnatural to me to hold the 12.9 model in portrait mode.

7. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Gotcha, but I am assuming you are holding the iPad in your left hand which is covering the camera and using your right hand to use the iPad. Turn the iPad so the camera is on the right, where your hand isn't holding the iPad.

8. Donnation thread starter macrumors regular

Donnation

I don’t think that would fix my problem. I grip the iPad with both hands but I’ll try that.

9. soulreaver99 macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

It's kinda like getting used to Touch ID to FaceID on the iPhone. You hate it at first but you get used to it and end up loving it. I think it wrks better than Windows Hello which is also pretty great. So when is mouse support coming? :rolleyes:

10. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Usually Face ID is set off when you are using the iPad though, not just reading or watching a video, right?

11. jschu22 macrumors regular

I have found myself annoyed just as the OP but your post opened my eyes- Even having to slightly move my hand, its better than moving a hand and thumb that may (or may not) unlock the device or password.

12. metalsiren macrumors regular

metalsiren

I have the 11in and maybe I am just holding it different but I don’t seem to run into the same problems. So far I like the Face ID but only time will tell for sure.

13. fm_carv Suspended

fm_carv

No problems whatsoever with the faceid on my new 12.9

Works even better than my SMax

14. leebroath macrumors 6502a

leebroath

I have the 11” and Face ID works well for me :)

15. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Yeah I’m not having any issues with it, though I can see how it can be a problem for some.
    I’m just already in the habit of, when I turn it to landscape, making sure the camera, by which I mean the camera on the back of the iPad, is on the right hand side. (I hold the iPad with my left hand) That way I’m never covering the Face ID camera.

I’m used to using Face ID with the X over the past year, so I don’t know if that helped with the adjustment period on the iPad.

I do definitely prefer it to moving my hand with Touch ID. Maybe I’m just lazy :D

16. JD2015 macrumors 6502

Have found Face ID far superior than on the IPhone. Much easier to unlock especially when it is laying flat.
    Same for me. Combine that with the keyboard where you can double press the space bar and not have to swipe up to unlock, makes it so much faster.

17. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Each to own if works perfectly for me better than I expected on the iPad

18. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Yeah I’m getting the “hey stupid you’re covering the camera” alert as well. Enough to get annoying

19. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

I hear ya, hope you can figure it out so it works for you. I was doing the same thing, but the only time Face ID comes up is when one hand is holding the iPad and one hand is using the iPad, so if I turn the iPad right instead of left, it isn't an issue for me anymore as one hand is holding it and one hand it touching the screen.

20. yegon macrumors 68030

Hasn’t failed me once yet.

You’re holding it wrong™️.

21. sonicrobby, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018

sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Ive officially hated landscape mode of the iPad for some years now.

22. Marshall73, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019

Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

Only seen the move your hand message once when I deliberately covered it to make the message appear.

23. laurenr macrumors 6502a

laurenr

Yup, I am having the exact same problem, as I always hold my iPad in Landscape mode, have done so since my first device in 2010. It seems natural to hold the ipad with thumb in the middle, to balance the weight of the device........exactly in the position of the camera. This is frustrating not just to unlock, but for keychain stored passwords as well. Aaaargh!

24. SPNBaby macrumors member

SPNBaby

I'm surprised how well the face id works in low light.

This iPad is the first time I have ever used face id. I quite like it!

25. DeanLubaki macrumors 6502

DeanLubaki

How is that different than having to put your finger on the Touch ID sensor to unlock? Both situations require you to move one of your limbs for unlock it...