I officially surrendered to AT&T and Apple.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by drenline, Dec 21, 2011.

1. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

After 2 months of having a locked iphone 4 on BB 04.11.08, I decided that AT&T and Apple have won and I no longer have the patience to sit around and wait for a potential software unlock with no ETA. My contract with T-Mobile was over 6 months ago so I left them today and joined AT&T (well technically, their prepaid GoPhone). I got home and inserted my new $25 GoPhone micro-sim into my iphone 4 and it loaded right up! If I would've known that it was all it took to unlock my iphone, I would've done this 2 months ago.

Has anybody else given up too?

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Don't get too excited, shortly they'll detect it's an iPhone and pin on an applicable minutes and data plan.

3. noiceT macrumors 6502a

The only thing I like about AT&T is that fact that the majority of people with iphones in the US are on AT&T. Therefore "mobile to mobile" is free. And since everyone has an iphone, all calls are free.

This helps me stay on a lowest family plan with 4 people.

Unfortunately I think GoPhones are not mobile to mobile though (or am I wrong?)

4. Himynamesnoah macrumors member

Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
    I've been using the $25 plan for months, with them knowing it was an iPhone 4. They won't charge you for anything.
    They will even give you a Prepaid Micro-Sim if you ask them for it.

5. APtalent macrumors regular

He's off contract. He clearly mentioned their prepaid GoPhone plan.

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I'm shocked that AT&T is fully capable of detecting your phone model by it's IMEI, yet doesn't tack on the data and minutes plan, as their fine print details.

I guess they don't follow their own rules!

Enjoy the loop hole while it lasts, and sorry for misinforming using information.

7. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

How is this a loophole? He's using prepaid, AT&T can't force him to suddenly sign a contract and go postpaid.

8. drenline thread starter macrumors 6502a

drenline

I directly talked to 2 different AT&T reps and they were somewhat supportive of it. I even asked if I was going to get charged extra for using a smart phone with a prepaid sim and they said no.

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

No, but they can force on a data plan and minute plan. Being on a "plan" isn't a contract. I'm on a plan now without a contract.

10. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

I think data plan addon only applies to smartphones subsidized by ATT. Pre owned smartphones are exempt from the rule.

After all how does it makes sense that att can force a data fee on month to month pay, the consumer can threaten to migrate to another carrier that do not froce data add on.

11. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Ive heard that to use a smartphone, you must have a data plan. It doesn't matter about a contract. No one is forcing you to use a smartphone. You always have a choice.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only on post paid monthly plan accounts.
    On Prepaid you can use whatever you want and AT&T is not going to force you a data plan or anything you dont want.

13. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I bought a factory unlocked phone from apple so I don't have to play the wait for an unlock game any more. There are options. I would sell my iphone and use that to help fund the new unlocked one. I hear due to tmobile upgrades some cities are getting 3g on their iphones now.

14. drenline thread starter macrumors 6502a

drenline

Yeah I was thinking of doing that too, but I passed on the 4S tho. $650 is no joke for a phone, I will definitely wait for the 5 to come out. The unlock game is very frustrating, especially for the iPhone 4 and up.

15. APtalent macrumors regular

@Dwalls90, you need to get your facts straight.

16. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

No they can't. Prepaid is prepaid, postpaid is postpaid. They can't force you to go from one to the other. If you're on prepaid you can use whatever phone you want. Stop spreading FUD.