I only need one Windows App!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Benzy, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Benzy macrumors member

Hey guys, I seriously only need to run one Windows application and I don't want to install windows for just one lousy app!!

I heard there's a thing called wine that emulates windows app like rosetta for powerpc? Please help!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Crossover and Wine can be found via Google/Bing/Yahoo/AltaVista/otherSearchEngine, threads about those can be found via MRoogle (my sig).

What software are you talking about - the one you need to install?

3. robj macrumors regular

Wine WORKS with many apps, but probably not with yours.

Then you need to install something like Paralells or VmWare..., There isn't bad options at all. The current versions are very well integrated with the rest of the OS.

4. Benzy thread starter macrumors member

where's the official website for wine? can't seem to find it. VM fusion is out of the question, my iMac only has 1GB RAM.

5. Benzy thread starter macrumors member

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That doesn't leave you much choice other than installing Windows

You might be able to get by with XP and VirtualBox

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. LotteNYC macrumors newbie

Benzy, Im in the EXACT same boat. I am going to get my MBP today and think it really sucks I need to buy XP (which you can get from Compusa online for $90) Office AND Parallels or something just to run OneNote! I love that program for note taking and heard of other wannabe versions that don't really catch me. I would use all of the Office programs just because Im used to it.

But then again, Mac decided to ONLY make Logic available for Macs so Microsoft does have that choice.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I used to be in the same boat with one note. I switched to Circus Ponies Notebook and at first thought it was inferior but I've actually grown to like it more after playing with it and have been using it for almost 2 years now.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Give WineBottler a go. It makes standalone WINE ports of windows programs for OS X. Make sure you know what the windows program needs to run (like IE6 or Flash).

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/