Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
I have two machines. One PowerBook and one 2.4 Pentium 4 which I used for gaming. I don't really game a whole lot, college takes that away which is fine, but I really only see myself using windows for one thing and it is not an everyday thing so I sold, or am in the process of selling my Windows machine. I plan on buying a shuttle system; barebones and I'll build it up. The problem I have is that I really don't need windows for much nowadays. I am almost wondering if it is even worth getting a shuttle and maybe I should just not get it.

I use windows for:
One panoramic photo stitching program that is not available for mac (it is the best i've ever used). I could use PS, but I've noticed I spend too much time and no one else is crazy enough to do it by hand (so it seems).
MS Access. I do DB design for work--small desktop apps that help me with specialized projects. Sometimes I'll work on them at home, but not often.
Burning DVDs. I can do this on my mac as well, but I get double the power...ok never mind you don't need to hear that.

So now I am torn. I was thinking I'd just get a Mac Mini, but with the external on my PB, why would I do that? I'm all conflicted really. :confused:

Any dual users out there that can offer some advice?

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
Why sell the Pentium anyway? Exchanging it with a Shuttle will cost a lot but won't give you much, except for the smaller size.

If you want to win space you could get some used Pentium-III-notebook. Those are not expensive and should do for Microsoft Abscess and photo stitching.

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
I still use a Windoz box for a few things.. Mostly so I can play games (not that I have) and make music (OK, I have GB, and Logic Express, but I also have a Dev. copy of Cubase SX for PC, and I kinda like Cubase). I also use my PC for running Linux- it's a learning experience. So, why ditch your PC? Load Linux, dual boot to XP, and have fun with a new OS..
I have a shuttle, it's a TiVo machine.. Biggest problem with it is it gets way too HOT. If you just keep it minimal, it wouldn't be bad, but load it up with a nice video card, and you've got a great space heater.
I agree with Lexfuzo about the notebook, find a cheep one online, and then yo can still run your few PC apps.

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
I only use windows for

1) Tivo desktop/2go. Anyone know of a way do do all this from the Mac?
2) Games (the few I play)
3) iTunes (this is v. linux, not Mac, obviously)

The rest of the things I need to do are covered by the Mac. I prefer to boot my PC into linux when i'm doing work at home, as it's far easier to do bioinformatics/programming in a 'nix environment. It's also faster then Win XP.

MP

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I would only want a PC to use SolidWorks. I wouldn't even put the computer on the internet. I am considering buying one of the low end deals from Dell just to do this.

alangyssler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2005
Buffalo Grove, IL
I use Windows for...

The only reason I use windows is for throwing my PC out of. (I know, I know. Different windows).

But seriously, the Mac environment is so complete (for my needs), that I see no reason to use a PC for anything. In fact, I can't think of anything that I would use a PC for if I had one.

Alone2Gether

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2005
I use my windows machine for Pro/Engineer Wildfire 2.0 in college. I'm switching to the PBook whenever it gets updated. Anyone familiar with this program know if it is possible to run it in VPC?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Alone2Gether said:
I use my windows machine for Pro/Engineer Wildfire 2.0 in college. I'm switching to the PBook whenever it gets updated. Anyone familiar with this program know if it is possible to run it in VPC?
Only if you like waiting a very long time to get anything done. VPC is not capable of handling heavy lifting (like 3D). Now when the new Intel based macs come out, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. But those won't be out for a while.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
if u need it get it and use it for what you need but also look for Mac apps that do the same ut only you can choice if u want to duel use or just use Mac OSX

redynvre

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2004
wwooden said:
I would only want a PC to use SolidWorks. I wouldn't even put the computer on the internet. I am considering buying one of the low end deals from Dell just to do this.

That's what I have done. I run SolidWorks and Alias StudioTools on PC. It sees the internet only to update these two softwares. Everything else, All mac!

If only Solidworks would come to the Mac! They started with Edrawings lets hope they continue... Same goes for StudioTools, why Maya 4 the Mac and not Studiotool?!

redynvre

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2004
redynvre said:
That's what I have done. I run SolidWorks and Alias StudioTools on PC. It sees the internet only to update these two softwares. Everything else, All mac!

If only Solidworks would come to the Mac! They started with Edrawings lets hope they continue... Same goes for StudioTools, why Maya 4 the Mac and not Studiotool?!

If you want to do that, be careful, SolidWorks, like most 3D softwares, require quite a bit of power to run good, and a good Graphic card is a must.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
I only use windows for some of the better emulators that are only made for the PC environment (zsnes/project 64/gens)...and those games that are only on windows...it's good only for games, games, and um, games--and maybe running bit torrent 24/7/365--I'd rather have the winblows machine go down on me than the mac since I don't care if it blows up on me or not--as long as it doesn't hurt me. For actual work--creative, music, dvd burning, quicktime editing, no defragmenting non-sense, I'd only use a mac, and nothing but a mac.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
I think that I'll look into cheaper shuttles online or something. Fact is, I don't want another notebook and I do want to gain some space. The shuttle will be nice a compact. I wish the intel knock off of the mini we saw a while back were true and in production. I would like to get something I can game on in the event I wish to game again. There is also AutoCAD, nothing replaces it really. In due time I'll be accepting work in design as I used to do it. Once I finish my thesis.

Random thoughts but the notebook--though I do not want one, may be my best alternative.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
Well if size is an issue a shuttle is probably your best bet. Even if they had a Mini-type PC in production it probably wouldn't be powerful enough for most current games, at least not in the GPU-area.

Why not just keep your Pentium system for now and then when you can make the upgrade to Mactel just dual-boot? I'm hoping that in the near future that hardware virtualiazation will have come along far enough that they can run both OSes simultaneously on the hardware without a need for VMWare or VPC.

I use a PC for gaming and work (programming in VS.NET) but that's about it. I don't use my PC at home much anymore as I haven't been gaming much and if I have extra work I usually stay at work because my PC at home is much slower than my dev PC here at work. I'm planning on waiting for the Rev. B PowerMac for my next Mac upgrade. I'll probably just use it as a dual-boot machine and turn my old PC into a dedicated web-server and my Mac Mini as an email station type machine. My Mac Mini will make it that long but I'm not sure my aging PC can make it until rev b PM's arrive, I might need to upgrade my PC sooner. I might just build a modest system for ~$1000 - the X2 3800+ is tempting.

dsatterfield

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2004
Use for PC over Mac

I use my PC for....
Thumbsplus and FamilyTree. While I have seen OS X versions, I haven't been as thrilled with them as the PC versions. I also use it for running the Training software I have....

G4....Recently sold the 12" G4 Powerbook 1.33(sigh)
Dual 533/Tiger, 896megs, 400G, 64video,
PC....
P4/1.8, 512, 64video, 60G, Server 2003

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
Need a PC for doing Quickbooks with Canadian tax tables. Would have switched a long time ago otherwise.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
MS Excel, MS Word or Excel - only for graphing. the ms office grapher sucks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I only have a PC for keeping on top of what Microsoft is doing with their Windows these days. It's useful for when friends/family ring me up and ask for advice/solutions and I need to walk them through stuff step-by-step too since I can't remember a lot about it off the top of my head.

It's also useful when people start telling me how much better PCs are. I can say to them that I have both and can safely say they are not! :p

In the two years I've been a new Mac-head, I haven't needed my PC once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.