I only want a bigger screen on the 6 if the overall dimensions stay roughly the same.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by N3wbi3, May 30, 2014.

1. N3wbi3 macrumors newbie

I love a compact phone and being able to use it one handed. With the monster sized android phones that come out on a daily basis I fear that Apple might try to compete with those and end up alienating customers like me :(

As long as the iPhone 6 has roughly the same size as the Moto X then I'll be okay with it. Otherwise I'll probably just keep my 5s for as long as I possibly can seeing as Apple guarantees a device can get service from them (including battery replacements) up to 5-years after it first debuts.

Anyone else feel as strongly about wanting Apple to keep the iPhone a one-handed device?

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Lots of people are going to chime in saying "yes" because that one-handed use has been one of Apple's favored marketing punches at bigger-screened competitors. However, now that Apple is likely rolling out bigger screens, if the one-handed use not longer applies, they'll just drop that punch from the marketing spin as if they never said it. They do this regularly. For example, "who wants to watch video on an iPod?" before they rolled out an iPod with video.

So you'll get lots of agreement for now but that sentiment will shift as soon as Apple rolls 'em out and no longer spins that same punch.

And, unfortunately, I see virtually zero chance of a bigger-screened iPhone coming out that fits in the exact same case size as the current iPhone. The box is going to be larger.

However, I'd encourage you to go to a store like Walmart where you can actually see some of those "monster-sized Android phones" and do a little faux testing about how much more difficult it's going to be at 4.7" and 5.5". The differences in size measured diagonally is not very much.

Same with the old "need new pants with bigger pockets" bit so commonly slung. If you actually go see even those 6" Androids and actually try to fit them in existing pockets, they'll likely go just fine. Diagonal expansion of .7" or 1.5" is not as big a change as I think "we" imagine.

Those worried about pants should be investing in pants maker stock right now. And those slinging the old one-handed use worry will pretty much go silent on that point as soon as Apple rolls them out and no longer touts that particular bit of spin… replaced by "shut up and take my money" and "best iPhone ever"… and probably some "how did we ever get by with those puny screens before".

3. N3wbi3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hence why I said 'roughly' the same size in the thread title and body. Ive already tried everything on android, the only flagship that really works one handed is the Moto X (which has a 4.7 inch screen in roughly the same body size as the 5s). All of the rest have issues reaching the top of the screen one handed. Also it ain't about a punch line, it's simply a matter of usability. One can be used in one hand for flexibility and ease of use... while the other ones can't.

4. HarryWild, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014

HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Motorola has ended the assembly plant in Texas for the Moto X because of weak sales at the end of 2014. Lost of 700 jobs. So, you can see that Moto X and iPhone 5 sales are in the past for this size phone.

I think we will see a lot of 6" phone in 2015. I don't think any manufacturer going forward will be making a high end 5" or smaller size phone in 2017 and beyond. There will be 4.5" phones that are built to focus on bargain and developing countries however. You could still buy such a feature phones in the size you like; so you are in good shape. The high end smartphones will be much bigger however!

5. N3wbi3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Saying the closing of the Texas factory due to weak sales is simply making an assumptions / guess.

If I were to do the same I would say it's simply due to the fact that they were bought by Lenovo who is based in China and probably wants to have production closer to home plus cheaper labor for better profits.
    I'm all for options, just give customers an actual choice of a realistic sized phones for those who want a device that can be used one-handed.
    Ugh. I sure hope this guess does not become reality :(

6. boomhower, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014

boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

That's because of costs more than anything else. The US assembly plan didn't work out as planned. They've said they will continue the Moto Maker plan, just not in the US. I saw it coming, with the cost difference of US manufacturing compared to foreign it just doesn't work. I truly think they would have rode it out a while longer but the sale to Lenovo said they wouldn't stand the bleeding.

I do truly believe we see a 5+" iPhone, I'm just not sure when. I am hoping this year they release it but it makes so much sense to wait until next year and then ever year they can have a completely new phone. Next year the new large phone and the 6S, rinse and repeat.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    As someone who almost never uses just one hand, I'm curious. Can you give an example of an app that you use one-handed all the time, that would be impossible with a larger screen? (And why are you using it one-handed? Subway rider, perhaps?)

Dialing, scrolling, all that isn't so dependent on screen size.

Clearly Apple has also been planning for larger screens, and that's why we got the swipe to go back added, which replaces having to stretch up to the far upper left.

Anyway, thanks in advance. Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought it back! :)

8. kaielement macrumors 65816

From the mock ups I have seen the 4.7" version is bigger then the moto x because the bezels are larger. I really can't wait to get my hands on one to see how well you an use it one handed. I really hope so you can.I don't want a really big phone that I can't put in my pocket comfortable or use one handed.

9. N3wbi3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Amputee.

Sure thing. An example of this is simple web browsing. I recently borrowed my friends Note 3 and the experience was terrible due to its size. Seeing as even on the 5s I have trouble reaching the refresh button in safari that's on the top right while holding the phone in my left hand, trying to reach the top URL bar on the Note 3 was impossible.

Also, in addition, anything that needed typing I couldn't use since my left hand couldn't reach the 'go' button on the bottom right of the keyboard.

10. 617aircav Suspended

I used to have a note 2 and despite being too big browsing on it was wonderful. I have no issues using two hands and one handed use is not a standard.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Ironically, smartphones used to have bottom menu buttons and cursor pads, so it didn't matter how big the screen was, we could always use one hand to do everything.

(I loved the optical trackball on the original HTC Incredible. If you didn't feel like stretching your thumb all over the touchscreen, you could just slide your thumb in tiny increments over the track eye and scroll or click like crazy.)

Ah. You should've checked out the extensive one-handed options on your friend's Note 3!

Not only can you turn on a smaller keyboard (i.e. iPhone sized) that will move from side to side as you wish, but you can also turn on a mode where you can instantly resize a screen to be small and under your thumb, so you can click on top fields like the URL, and then pop the page back to full size.

one-handed.png

If Apple brings out a 5.5" iPhone, I can almost guarantee that it will have similar one-handed features.

12. Rigby macrumors 601

I agree with the OP's sentiment. I really hope there will continue to be a model that is not significantly bigger than the 5S in terms of case dimensions. For me it's not just about one-handed use, but also about "pocketability". I wear the phone in my front pocket, and the 5S already sometimes gets in the way in jeans pockets due to its height. I have really no need for a bigger screen either (don't use my phone for movies, gaming or similar things ... that's what the iPad is for :p).

13. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Same sentiments, but its rather obvious- Which person who wants a bigger screen doesn't want the footprint to be the bare minimum? Just saying~ :p

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I use my S5 one handed all the time...

And the screen is still bigger than the iPhone :D

[​IMG]

15. N3wbi3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, how did you get the background around the shrunken screen to be black?

On the Note 3 every time I did the swipe to shrink the screen the background was blue, which is HORRIBLE for amoled screens as the blue pixels burn out the quickest and if you have a blue static background like that on all the time for one handed use then that will make the blue pixels burn out that much quicker :(

A black background like that would have solved all my problems...

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It's the way it is for the S5. Samsung improved the design over the Note 3 and takes advantage of the AMOLED tech better.

17. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Time for Apple to get rid of those Bezels the technology is there we've seen it in TVs

18. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Yes! I swipe through my phone with one hand all the time. Facebook, Twitter, Safari, messages, emails. The only things that require another hand are typing and games. I mean, I still use my phone as a phone, so that's one hand. You haven't needed to make a call with two hands in about 100 years. I also consider pocketability. As a women, my iPhone 5 is right on my hip. Its height makes it awkward to walk or bend over or sit. I'm afraid it'll snap in half! And seriously, women's pants and shorts have tiny pockets. They barely held my flip phone back in the day. Also worry about added weight to my purse. I carry enough things as it is!