I opened a Word .doc document on Pages but can it save as .doc too?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Flac, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Flac macrumors regular

2. 960design macrumors 68000

We don't really have to 'Save' documents on the Mac as the document is continually saved as you are working.

To 'Save' the pages document in a different format we 'Export' it. File > Export > Word... it will save the document in the .docx format.

How does it compare to LibreOffice? Why compare? Install LibreOffice on your Mac if that is what you are used to and Bob's your uncle.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need to export it. For some wacky reason Apple thinks the Save and Save As options in the File Menu are too confusing are no longer there.

4. exexs macrumors member

Yep, this is really boring, every time I have to export it to .doc to share with a friend... would love the old "save as..." and choose...

5. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

And be aware that depending on how involved the formatting of the original Word document was, opening it in Pages and them resaving it as a Word file may result in the loss of some formatting (if Pages doesn't support it).

6. Flac thread starter macrumors regular

How much is Microsoft Office Suite for Mac?

Whenever I download some thing to fill out it appears good on Pages but not on LibreOffice. But of course saving it is a two step process on Pages, which is annoying. I think I need the Office Suite.

7. newellj, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

newellj macrumors 601

Pricing varies hugely depending on which parts of Office you are buying and whether you can get an educational discount or buy through an employer's home use program (which can be as cheap as a one-time charge of $10 for everything).

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They have a beta out there right now and that's free.
    They offer a subscription which is like between 7 and 10 dollars a month depending if you want multiple computers
    Stand alone version of Office Mac Home and Student 2011 - 1PC/1User [Download] is 116 on amazon.

9. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

Just to clarify: "save as" is returned to iWork: cmd+alt+shift+S

The only thing is: you can't save as PDF this way, only iWork file formats.

So, saving as PDF still requires to export.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow, they couldn't add in any more key combinations to make it even harder?

In Numbers, that key combination does not seem to give me the ability to save as an excel spreadsheet, it just brings up a save as dialog box to save as the current format. I don't have Pages (and I don't feel like spending 20 bucks on an app that doesn't work the way I want it too), so I can't tell if you can save as a word document in that app, or you need to export it

11. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

Usability designed by Apple in California :).

I already require two hands for this, but the next level would be: adding backspace to that combination. ;)