Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
PRIVACY: ...
You bring up some good points. So far, I have been less than impressed with cloud security. Stolen information often ends up on the dark web. Bad characters can use it to craft sophisticated attacks such as (but not limited to) customized phishing emails. Even if there is no liability once the issue is resolved, having one's identity stolen is an absolute pain to deal with and a huge time/energy sink.

I am waiting for something like ProtonMail's ProtonDrive to become available before I start using the cloud for personal data. Their solution encrypts the data so that it cannot be read even by them. That means folks that hack their infrastructure can't really do anything with the data that they find.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zazoh

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
You bring up some good points. So far, I have been less than impressed with cloud security. Stolen information often ends up on the dark web. Bad characters can use it to craft sophisticated attacks such as (but not limited to) customized phishing emails. Even if there is no liability once the issue is resolved, having one's identity stolen is an absolute pain to deal with and a huge time/energy sink.

I am waiting for something like ProtonMail's ProtonDrive to become available before I start using the cloud for personal data. Their solution encrypts the data so that it cannot be read even by them. That means folks that hack their infrastructure can't really do anything with the data that they find.

Or make encrypted vaults on iCloud or whichever you prefer. All my sensitive information I use Cryptomator which has been a good solution.

Reactions: ghanwani

DaMax85

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
I pulled the trigger on the 256GB version. My current Mac has a 256GB SSD, but is only about 40% full. There was a time my SSD was almost full and I thought I needed to upgrade to a 512GB mac, but that's because my "other" files were taking up more than 30GB's, I had to actually learn some basic FCP file management, and finally realized I don't need all of my content on my machine. I also still have about 30 GB's of iTunes music stored locally on my machine, but now that I subscribe to Apple Music, I don't even need to keep that on my machine, and might unload that onto a drive as well. Also, the only additional apps I have installed are Final Cut X, Final Draft, Zoom, Chrome, and Spotify.

Just ridin' that whole minimalism wave...

Reactions: orbital~debris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.