I ordered a custom MPB on July 19 and it came with Lion pre-installed

madisonfaye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
I've seen a lot of people speculating about ordering a MPB, and if it will come with Lion. I ordered mine the afternoon before Lion came out, and it did ship with Lion and with a Lion specialized box. It also came with a Lion keyboard which varied only slightly.

Just thought I'd let anyone know wanting to order a MPB! Obviously I doubt this is the case with the pre-configured macs, but for the custom ones I'm guessing they are now all shipping with Lion.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
That's crazy.. my keyboard is already outdated?!
Nope. It's just that f4 changed to launchpad instead of dashboard. I think you can configure this option.

EDIT: there is. But, this time, you have to press fn+F4 to do this. It's in the keyboard shortcut section in System Preferences.

Comment

madisonfaye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
That's crazy.. my keyboard is already outdated?!

Hahaha no its not a big deal. The print on two keys has changed (F3 and F4) and they have different functions which I'm sure you can just manually set. So really you're just missing out on the two pictures

Comment

davmcn

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Hahaha no its not a big deal. The print on two keys has changed (F3 and F4) and they have different functions which I'm sure you can just manually set. So really you're just missing out on the two pictures
My replacement was sent out on the 20th of July. Cause the first one I got came with a dead pixel, Suppose to receive it this afternoon, so curious if it's going to have that or not.

UPDATE: I just got my Macbook Pro, and it doesn't have Lion Preinstalled nor the cool new keyboard. D:

Last edited:
Comment

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Nice, I need to switch around those keys to use launchpad. I never use dashboard anyways. Devs just aren't making a lot of widgets anymore.. :(

Comment

mprofit

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
Atlanta
I've seen a lot of people speculating about ordering a MPB, and if it will come with Lion. I ordered mine the afternoon before Lion came out, and it did ship with Lion and with a Lion specialized box. It also came with a Lion keyboard which varied only slightly.

Just thought I'd let anyone know wanting to order a MPB! Obviously I doubt this is the case with the pre-configured macs, but for the custom ones I'm guessing they are now all shipping with Lion.
How long after you ordered your computer did it ship? I ordered mine on Thursday the 21st as a custom built with a high-res glossy, and it just shipped from the factory late last night. I was told it'd be 1-3 business days when I ordered it, so that's about right.

Hoping to get mine with Lion, even more so now that you pointed out the difference in the keyboard.

Comment

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Ugh, I have the old Dashboard key. I wonder if Apple is willing to replace them for Launchpad keys.
FunctionFlip will correct the Dashboard-Launchpad shortcuts, so that you will have to press the function key for Dashboard.

Comment

BenLeong

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
Seattle
I've seen a lot of people speculating about ordering a MPB, and if it will come with Lion. I ordered mine the afternoon before Lion came out, and it did ship with Lion and with a Lion specialized box. It also came with a Lion keyboard which varied only

Out of curiosity, did it come with any backup discs?

Comment

madisonfaye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
Out of curiosity, did it come with any backup discs?
Nope no recovery disks, I thought that was sort-of weird even though they are doing the whole online download thing.

Is there ever a point where I might need a disk to reinstall it all? How do I do it without one lol.

My replacement was sent out on the 20th of July. Cause the first one I got came with a dead pixel, Suppose to receive it this afternoon, so curious if it's going to have that or not.

UPDATE: I just got my Macbook Pro, and it doesn't have Lion Preinstalled nor the cool new keyboard. D:
Was your MPB a custom? Not one of the pre-configured options? I made a lot of changes to my MPB so that may be why I got a new Lion one.

How long after you ordered your computer did it ship? I ordered mine on Thursday the 21st as a custom built with a high-res glossy, and it just shipped from the factory late last night. I was told it'd be 1-3 business days when I ordered it, so that's about right.

Hoping to get mine with Lion, even more so now that you pointed out the difference in the keyboard.

Mine said 2-4 business days for processing, and it shipped out on the 22nd if I remember correctly. I ordered it literally the night before Lion came out, so on the 19th.

Last edited:
Comment

BenLeong

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
Seattle
Nope no recovery disks, I thought that was sort-of weird even though they are doing the whole online download thing.

Is there ever a point where I might need a disk to reinstall it all? How do I do it without one lol.

Was your MPB a custom? Not one of the pre-configured options? I made a lot of changes to my MPB so that may be why I got a new Lion one.
From what I understood, the Internet Recovery thing is only available on the new Airs and Minis. So you had a harddrive failure or got a new harddrive, I'm not sure what you'd do exactly. Strange that they didnt at least include Snow Leopard discs or something.

Comment

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?

I think theres suppose to be a recovery partition on your HDD

Comment

BenLeong

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
Seattle
I think theres suppose to be a recovery partition on your HDD
There is, but what if he has a harddrive failure or wants to upgrade his harddrive? The new Airs and Minis have a separate thing outside of the harddrive for Internet Recovery, so they have no need for backup discs. But for the MacBook Pros, they don't have that option...

...or am I wrong?

Comment

TimSS

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2009
FWIW, I also ordered mine (13") the afternoon of the 19th (received on the 21st), and it did NOT ship with Lion (or the new keyboard).

Comment

madisonfaye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
FWIW, I also ordered mine (13") the afternoon of the 19th (received on the 21st), and it did NOT ship with Lion (or the new keyboard).
I ordered a replacement because of a screen issue, and I just got off the phone with Apple. She assured me that as of right now ALL Mac computers are shipping with Lion. Not sure if she is totally correct, but she was really confident about it.

Like I said, if you had a common configuration I'm sure you got old stock. Mine was a custom so they made it, so it had Lion.

Comment

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I ordered a replacement because of a screen issue, and I just got off the phone with Apple. She assured me that as of right now ALL Mac computers are shipping with Lion. Not sure if she is totally correct, but she was really confident about it.

Like I said, if you had a common configuration I'm sure you got old stock. Mine was a custom so they made it, so it had Lion.
I wonder if Apple Stores now stock MBPs with Lion and new keys?

Comment

ryuuzaki

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2010
I also ordered a custom 13" MBP last...what, thursday night? I received mine today and it also came loaded with Lion w/o any install CDs, and it also has the updated keyboard.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.