I ordered a custom MPB on July 19 and it came with Lion pre-installed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madisonfaye, Jul 25, 2011.

1. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

I've seen a lot of people speculating about ordering a MPB, and if it will come with Lion. I ordered mine the afternoon before Lion came out, and it did ship with Lion and with a Lion specialized box. It also came with a Lion keyboard which varied only slightly.

[​IMG]

Just thought I'd let anyone know wanting to order a MPB! Obviously I doubt this is the case with the pre-configured macs, but for the custom ones I'm guessing they are now all shipping with Lion.

2. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

That's crazy.. my keyboard is already outdated?!

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Nope. It's just that f4 changed to launchpad instead of dashboard. I think you can configure this option.

EDIT: there is. But, this time, you have to press fn+F4 to do this. It's in the keyboard shortcut section in System Preferences.

4. madisonfaye thread starter macrumors regular

madisonfaye

Hahaha no its not a big deal. The print on two keys has changed (F3 and F4) and they have different functions which I'm sure you can just manually set. So really you're just missing out on the two pictures

5. davmcn, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

davmcn macrumors regular

My replacement was sent out on the 20th of July. Cause the first one I got came with a dead pixel, Suppose to receive it this afternoon, so curious if it's going to have that or not.

UPDATE: I just got my Macbook Pro, and it doesn't have Lion Preinstalled nor the cool new keyboard. D:

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Nice, I need to switch around those keys to use launchpad. I never use dashboard anyways. Devs just aren't making a lot of widgets anymore.. :(

7. BenLeong macrumors member

Good to hear! I custom ordered mine yesterday... Hopefully I'll gt lucky, too.

8. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

How long after you ordered your computer did it ship? I ordered mine on Thursday the 21st as a custom built with a high-res glossy, and it just shipped from the factory late last night. I was told it'd be 1-3 business days when I ordered it, so that's about right.

Hoping to get mine with Lion, even more so now that you pointed out the difference in the keyboard.

9. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Is it weird that I want to order two new keys for my keyboard now? I hate Dashboard anyway.

10. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Ugh, I have the old Dashboard key. I wonder if Apple is willing to replace them for Launchpad keys.
    FunctionFlip will correct the Dashboard-Launchpad shortcuts, so that you will have to press the function key for Dashboard.

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I wanna return my MBP and wait until they update the keysssss!!!!! :(

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I want people to stop whining about a bunch of key caps.

13. BenLeong macrumors member

Out of curiosity, did it come with any backup discs?

14. madisonfaye, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

madisonfaye thread starter macrumors regular

madisonfaye

Nope no recovery disks, I thought that was sort-of weird even though they are doing the whole online download thing.

Is there ever a point where I might need a disk to reinstall it all? How do I do it without one lol.

Was your MPB a custom? Not one of the pre-configured options? I made a lot of changes to my MPB so that may be why I got a new Lion one.

Mine said 2-4 business days for processing, and it shipped out on the 22nd if I remember correctly. I ordered it literally the night before Lion came out, so on the 19th.

15. BenLeong macrumors member

From what I understood, the Internet Recovery thing is only available on the new Airs and Minis. So you had a harddrive failure or got a new harddrive, I'm not sure what you'd do exactly. Strange that they didnt at least include Snow Leopard discs or something.

16. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I think theres suppose to be a recovery partition on your HDD

17. BenLeong macrumors member

There is, but what if he has a harddrive failure or wants to upgrade his harddrive? The new Airs and Minis have a separate thing outside of the harddrive for Internet Recovery, so they have no need for backup discs. But for the MacBook Pros, they don't have that option...

...or am I wrong?

18. TimSS macrumors member

FWIW, I also ordered mine (13") the afternoon of the 19th (received on the 21st), and it did NOT ship with Lion (or the new keyboard).

19. madisonfaye thread starter macrumors regular

madisonfaye

I ordered a replacement because of a screen issue, and I just got off the phone with Apple. She assured me that as of right now ALL Mac computers are shipping with Lion. Not sure if she is totally correct, but she was really confident about it.

Like I said, if you had a common configuration I'm sure you got old stock. Mine was a custom so they made it, so it had Lion.

20. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I wonder if Apple Stores now stock MBPs with Lion and new keys?

21. ryuuzaki macrumors member

ryuuzaki

I also ordered a custom 13" MBP last...what, thursday night? I received mine today and it also came loaded with Lion w/o any install CDs, and it also has the updated keyboard.

22. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Anyone here have a stock model, not CTO, with the new keys and no software disc?

23. waterman460000 macrumors newbie

wait... if it does not come with disks, how will we do clean installs?

24. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Current way is to make a boot disc before you install Lion or wait until Apple sells the $69 usb drives with Lion on it.

25. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.