I ordered my 21.5" 2.7 GHz iMac!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aComicBookFan, Mar 10, 2012.

1. aComicBookFan macrumors member

After lots of hmm'ing and haw'ing, I finally ordered my iMac from Amazon. Like the subject line says, it is a 21.5" display model with a 2.7 GHz processor. It will replace my seven year old PPC G5 iMac. I ordered it knowing that Apple may update the iMac line anytime now but I also know that I expect to keep this machine for the long haul. The final price was pretty good because I used some Amazon gift certificates that I saved up from work.

Amazon seems to have a pretty liberal return policy and they are an authorized Apple retailer. This bit of security is what made me choose to go with them. That, and no sales tax. :)

So the computer will be shipped on March 12th. If it comes from their Fernley warehouse then I should have it this Wednesday. Hopefully everything from shipping to setting up will go well.

Anyways, just wanted to share in the excitement!

-- Boris

2. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Good deals on there plus 30 day return with Amazon so if you hear of refresh in next few week/days you can return if you want, see know reason why unless redesign though (very unlikely). As for that machine"Beast:cool::cool: With cool plenty power, to say the least :apple:r. Enjoy

What will you be doing with the machine? If you don't mind me asking.

3. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Congrats. I have been toying with the idea of jumping off the PC ship and coming back to the mac world with a 21.5" iMac

Just recently got a taste of lion with a Mac Mini, boy do I miss OS X.

Let us know how the machine is. I love Amazon too, just wish Apple had SSD iMac options available so that places like Amazon could sell them. Would love to not pay sales tax.

Enjoy it!

4. aComicBookFan thread starter macrumors member

Amazon doesn't have any commonnly customized options like machines with SSDs. For that you will have to go to Mac Mall or Mac Connections. Depending on which state you live in you may still be able to avoid the sales tax. I had the gift certificates which drove the decision for me to use Amazon.

I plan on taking a week to transfer my files and programs from my PPC G5 iMac to this Intel iMac. Once everything is transferred, I will take another week to let my new iMac run 24/7 (to get past any infant mortality issues). Once everything looks good I will install a clean copy of OS X v10.5.8 on the PPC G5 and post it for sale either on Craigslist or eBay. My kids spent the last couple of years decorating it with stickers, toy catalog clippings, crafts, etc that it's kind of sad to let it go. Then again, maybe that will help it fetch some extra dollars. :)

-- Boris

5. CrickettGrrrl, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I did the same thing last summer, went from my beloved PPC G5 iMac to a 21.5" i5 iMac ordered from Amazon. I love the new one, but don't want to get rid of the G5.

I can dual-boot Snow Leopard & Lion so I feel like I actually got 2 new iMacs. :)

Congratulations on your new iMac.