i OWN a TOUCHSCREEN Apple Studio Display...prototype?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by unruhbrady, Aug 11, 2007.

1. unruhbrady macrumors newbie

i just purchased a 17" Apple Studio Display from a friend...it has a short USB cable coming out the back which is placed in one of the hub-ports on the screen...i bought this with a G4 Cube...when you run the ADC(or ADP...idk) to the Cube it is a TOUCHSCREEN......HOWEVER.....the X-axis is inverted and the touchscreen needs calibration...i called Apple and asked about this and the agent said that i just blew his mind because they had heard RUMORS that such a device was in development around the time of the cube...but that apple fully denys that any r&d was ever done into this...he said that i should pop it open and try to calibrate manually...because calling apple about this is bad...he said that he would be quiet but that if apple found out that an engineer would show up on my porch with a court order and a couple lawyers...and destroy it on site...so obviously i am going to fix it manually...but...what do I do with this!!!!!!!!!! im still in shock....!!!! i own a prototype touch-display??!?!?!!!?!?!?!?!?!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

um, yeah. okay.

first post and this is all you have?

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Touchscreens have been available for Macs and PC's for a long time, primarily for kiosk use. They ship with mouse emulation drivers. I believe on the Mac side there was at least one company customising ASD'd with touchscreen front-ends.

5. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

What does the back say on the tag? It could have been an aftermarket mod by troll touch, what does the cable look like?

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I know that there was one company that put touch screens onto G3 iMacs or it may have been the G4s, I don't remember if they did other displays too, but it probably is just a mod that someone made, and not a prototype.

7. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

that would be sweet, although I don't believe you.

8. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

people must think my macbook is a touch screen , cos they are always touching the dam screen !!!:mad: does nothing apart from wind me up

9. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Yeah you better keep quiet. The absolute horror if an engineer were to show up at your doorstep. :rolleyes:

10. amd4me macrumors 6502

And here I was thinking trolls only lived under bridges :rolleyes:

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What's the issue?

It's a third party touch screen mod to an Apple screen and the OP got all excited thinking they had something special. Fair enough.

Like Sesshi says, I was selling these 18 years ago with Apple 13" Color monitors. There were several different companies who did the mod.

OP: You need to identify who made the touchscreen modification, and contact them for drivers or support.
    Do NOT open the back of the thing and fish around unless you know what you are doing around high voltages and have the correct tools. The Apple rep should be reprimanded for that suggestion.

Nothing to see here...