I own an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro (Replacement Question)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Johnny Steps, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

So I still have my early 2011 15" MacBook Pro with an Intel i7 CPU and 8GB of RAM. The most I've done for this computer is replace that old 500GB HDD with a Samsung Evo 500GB SSD. I was considering picking up one of the new rMBP, but I own a iPad Pro and thought it might be a bit of overkill for myself to do.

So basically, my question was if it was worth investing in a new battery since the charge doesn't hold as long as well as more RAM and possibly a replacement aluminum battery cover since mine is slightly sticking out. A while back I did get the logic board replaced since there was that whole free replacement program being done.

Thanks for the help!

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

here is how i rationalized my last purchase. i had a mid 2011 iMac i bought used - base model. i5 quad core and 500GB 5400rpm drive. I upgraded to 16GB RAM. last summer, i factored in the price of upgrading the HDD and labor - no way was i wanting to do it.

so for the price of replacing the HDD with a new one, DVD drive with SSD and parts, it would cost me close to $500. but in the end i would still have a 5 year old computer, even though it ran great right now.

OR i could sell it for $500 and use that money towards a new one. I only paid $899 for it new with the student discount.
    in the end, i picked up my mid 2015 that was used for a couple of months for $2000, and had applecare until 02/19. ill get years of use out of it.

3. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I'm kinda in the same situation (early 2011 15" MBP)... installed 8GB RAM and new HDD a couple of years ago.

My battery only holds about 2 hours of charge and it's been experiencing some odd behavior lately which I think I've managed to fix, but I'm about to install an SSD, 16 GB RAM, and new battery today... I'm hoping to squeeze another year or two out of her!

4. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

I'm in this exact situation! But I'm also weighing up between this and the new iMac (as always come upgrade time).

iMac or MacBook Pro + display when I have an iPad as well? The MacBook will mostly live at home but sometimes the ability to have a mobile powerhouse is very useful.

5. Evil_igz macrumors newbie

Man it's so funny I am literally in the same boat, 2011 15" MBP, 8gig RAM. Was actually mulling over swapping the HDD for SSD; been spending the whole day working w Amazon Drive for photo and video backup storage...

I am very tempted to swap the SSD, having been burned by this generation (ultimately w the display recall) I am a little sour on "first gen" laptops..

Just not sure what the right price
    Point for upgrades right now should be - no more
    Than $100?

6. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Definitely fit an SSD. You won't look back, it's a night-and-day difference. I fitted a Samsung 840 EVO (Samsung components are generally the best, particularly their flash storage as they make the hardware AND the controller) two years ago and it's like lightning.

Prices are cheaper than ever, although you may need the 850 EVO at this point as it's the newer variant.