I.P. address tracking

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JRob65a6, May 10, 2010.

1. JRob65a6 macrumors regular

JRob65a6

Hello Everyone,
    I need to know what the best way to get someones ip address. Like from sending them an email. The person has a gmail account which only leaves the server ip.So I can't get the ip from the emails. So now the question is what is the best way to get the ip of the computer that is sending the emails to me. I dont care if they have my ip nor do I care that they know I have their ip.
    The issue is this girl said she was my cousin and had pictures of my cousin and also a lot of other people in my family. We talked off and on for months now and then my father found out it wasn't her. Well she still is sending emails and stuff back and forth to us and we told her we know she isn't who she said she is. She admitted she wasn't but we are still worried about what her intentions were. I had the ip at one time but the ip has changed and I want to know if she is still in the same location. Does anyone know how I can get her ip from an email or from her visiting a site? She's obviously is not going to tell us so it needs to be hidden until after we have it.

I'm sorry if I am on the wrong site to be asking this but Im desperate.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Go to the police. Having the IP address doesn't really help you anyways.

3. JRob65a6 thread starter macrumors regular

JRob65a6

Well I would but she hasnt done anything illegal.
    I just would like to know her location is all.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You're not going to get it from Google without a subpoena, and since no crime has taken place, you're not going to get a subpoena.

5. JRob65a6 thread starter macrumors regular

JRob65a6

Yep.. Believe me I already tried.

6. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

I can't believe i'm suggesting this, BUT....

If you have her direct-connect to you on iChat for voice or video chat, sending pictures, etc. you should have a connection from your machine to her machine. At that point you should be able to get her address from netstat.

-Lee

7. JRob65a6 thread starter macrumors regular

JRob65a6

She has a PC. To tell you the truth I worked on it for her remotely but I didn't bother anything. Thats how I have her ip but I always uninstall when I am done. She was very brave to let someone in her computer that she is lying to but she did. I work on computers as a hobby. I never look at peoples things. She had a myspace and a facebook acct in my cousins name. She deleted them now though. My dad thinks we know who it is. We just want to know if she is in NKC Mo or another state. If she is in another state then we probably don't know her but if she is here then it is someone doing it for a reason.

Get this..... She even has a cell phone in my cousins name and a guy at cricket told me the address that was used but its not a real address. The police say " unless I can prove she is doing something illegal then we dont have time....." That is an exact quote

8. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

super confused now. I thought you wanted to know how to get her IP, but now you say you already have it. So problem solved?

If you need IP to geographic location, google would have helped. This came up:
    http://www.ip2location.com/free.asp

-Lee

9. JRob65a6 thread starter macrumors regular

JRob65a6

No I have the ip that I think was hers but Im not for sure. I used Gotoassist to help her with firefox crashing. The ip address that it has logged is no longer in use. It says kc mo was where that ip is located by a range of ip addresses but it was not being used currently. Im wondering if it was my ip address when I helped her. Secondly if that was her ip and it says KC Mo, Is it possible for her to have that ip and actually be in California. Such as an air card or something?

The reason I ask is when confronted about lying she claimed she was from California and that she was doing a "thesis" which obviously is a lie. She claims she is not from here and that they have the same name, which is also a lie. She will communicate with us still but I want to make sure her intentions were not bigger than what we see. Im actually wondering if she is doing this to others.

10. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

The simplist thing would be for you to tell her to leave your family alone and you don't want to hear from her ever again.

I'm not quite sure what you will do with her IP aprt from finding our who her ISP is, and they won't tell you her/his personal details.

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Many ISPs provide dynamic IPs for their customers, so she probably always gets a new IP every time the modem/router re-connects (every 24h I think).

12. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why would you work on her PC if she's stalking you/your family. That just doesn't make sense.

AS others stated, tell her to leave you alone and if that doesn't work, get the police/court system involved.

14. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

If you know enough about her to determine that she's not who she says she is, don't you also have enough to put together a pretty decent investigation into her background? There's online investigation sites of all sorts, find one and start with her email, location, the name she gave you, etc.