I pad 2 if I have a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brimoody, Dec 15, 2011.

1. brimoody macrumors newbie

I have a newer Macbook pro but I'm about to cave in and get an I pad 2. My wife and I have had a discussion about the I pad 2 and how much I would actually use it since I have the Macbook and an Iphone 4. Could someone please tell me why I would use an I pad more than my Macbook? I'm trying to justify the cost (besides me just wanting one!). Anyone else have all 3 (Macbook, Ipad 2, and Iphone) ? If so, how is it going for you?

Thanks, Brian

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

1. Buy it, try it, and return it if you don't use it alot.

2. Buy a cheap used iPad1, and if you use it a lot upgrade to the iPad 3.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No. Only you can answer that. If you want some ideas then please refer to the countless threads asking the very same question. It's a subjective matter. As stated above, if you can't think of reasons and want to buy anyway (don't understand this myself) you can buy and take it for a spin before your return period runs out. Don't expect people to justify your purchases for you. That's your responsibility.

Yes. Great. However, that doesn't mean that you'll feel the same way with all three. Again, subjective.

4. jojoba macrumors 68000

I don't have a macbook, but I have ordered a MBA (have a small but very slow laptop at present), and I have an android phone in addition to an iPad. I definitely use them for different things.

I use my iPad primarily for my work (academic), reading and annotating documents and making notes at meetings and seminar etc. I find the iPad great because
    - I can annotate using a stylus, which to me is faster and easier than having to work with a mouse and a keyboard
    - I love the long battery life, I'm never worried about running out which I often am with a laptop
    - the iPad is very portable and it's great to have all my docs with me on the go, and it's very quick to start up if I quickly want to show someone a doc or a web site
    - I like the 3G internet access because when I travel for work I don't always have easy access to a wireless network

For longer stretches of writing and work I turn to a pc or laptop, but I often have the iPad next to me as that is my primary tool for pdfs.

I use my android phone primarily to quickly check emails on the go, and to make short voice messages or other quick notes to myself, look up travel directions and train times, and so on.

5. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

It's your money, you don't need to justify anything. I am not a professional photographer yet I have $6,000 worth of photographic equipment in my camera bag because photography is one of the few things in life I truly enjoy. People think I am crazy to spend all that money on cameras and lenses but hey, it's a hobby and I worked hard to afford it so why not?

If you feel buying an iPad 2 will bring you happiness (no matter how fleeting) then go ahead and buy one, or better yet ... Go to the store and take it for a spin.

(Chances are you'll get bored of it rather quickly, I know my dad did when I bought one for him).

6. rg1980 macrumors newbie

I was in the exact same boat as you. I have a iPhone 4 and 2 month old 2011 macbook pro 13". I just bought an iPad 2 and they serve different purposes. I find that the iPad is great for quickly browsing the web, reading articles, games, etc. I still do that on my macbook pro but I just find me and my wife often want to be doing different things when it comes to "cpu" time. So sometimes she uses one while I have the other or vice versa.

It was not a necessity to have but it serves it functions for me and my wife. Its also convenient to take out of the house where I don't need the full capabilities of my macbook pro but still need access to things that my iPad can do. If you find some value in it and its being used......then I think that answers your question but you will never know until you try it. I was not sure if I was going to keep mine but after a few weeks of having both and actually using both, I've decided to keep my iPad 2. Hope that helps.

7. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

Not to be overly critical, but how about taking Brimoody's request on face value. I assume he knows that everyone is different but is looking for what others who have and Ipad and MacBook do.
    Enough sniping ...

I have a MacBook Pro, Ipad 1, and Iphone 4s. I'm not sure if use the Ipad more than the Macbook, but I use the Ipad a lot. Here is some what I do primarily on Ipad as opposed to other devices.

- reading books, magazines, comic books, long articles on the web, and other long documents.
    -Reading articles from Google reader, facebook, twitter. Once you read these items on Flipboard or Pulse apps on an Ipad, you won't go back.
    - "Paperless meetings" I refuse to print out documents for meeting only to through away after. The Ipad has become my new meeting "notebook"
    - Movies, particularly when travelling, in the kitchen or in bed
    - Defacto second computer screen when travelling for work
    -Games

I could go on. As others have said, everyone is different, but I still love my Ipad and use it as much as ever.

8. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I have a MacBook Pro and iPad (original), no iPhone. I use the iPad MUCH more than the MacBook. It's faster, easier and always by my side. I wouldn't give up the MBP, but I'll buy a lesser model next time. I also plan on buying an iPad 3.

9. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

I have all three (just got the iPad 2), and use it in bed to read and play with, and to take it to work. I'll sometimes use it on the couch as well, but most of the time my MBP is used, as it is much faster, larger screen, higher-res, etc. To be honest, I could do without a tablet for everyday use as I have a hard time giving up a large screen for web browsing, but it's still cool to have one :)

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

I have an iPad and an MBP, but I use both, and wouldn't want to have only one, even though I mainly use the iPad for work and play.

11. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I also have a MBP and a iPad

You can use it to watch cable/satellite TV if you have Directv with the app (example)

12. bad1550 macrumors regular

I have the new MacBook Pro, an iMac and now the iPad.

Still trying to justify the purchase but love the cool factor and apps.

13. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

Have all 3 and...

I find I use my iPad the most for internet and mail. I am actually thinking about selling my MBP (Late 2010 model) since I can still get some good coin for it. I would like to have an iMac which is why I would be POSSIBLY selling it.

It is a very tough decision though since this was the first mac I ever purchased and it has been the BEST computer I have ever owned.

I have an iPad 2, iPhone 4, and a MBP. They all do their own things better then the other but I feel I wouldn't need my MBP if I have an iMac. For those of you who need the portability and the features of an actual COMPUTER I am sure this move would not be for you.

I do feel this question (like most questions I seem to be reading lately) can really only be answered by you since you know what you would be using it for.

My 2 cents :)

14. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Have MBP 17, iPad 2 and iPhone 4S.

Different tools, different jobs. MBP is my main machine. iPad gets used extensively while out & about as it has the perfect balance of screen size vs portability. The phone gets used most in the car thanks to Siri.

15. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have an early 2011 MBP, iPad 2, and iPhone 4. For me, they all serve difference purposes. My MBP serves as my "hub" to sync up my iPad and iPhone when needed. I primarily use it for processing my photos on Adobe Photoshop. If I have to type out a lengthy email, I will use my MBP as well. Otherwise, when I'm home, I am mainly using my iPad or iPhone. Although the primary uses of my iPad are eBooks, web browsing, and accessing Twitter and Facebook. Since my iPhone is always on me, that gets the most use out of my 3 devices. But I don't think owning a MBP and iPad 2 are redundant. If you can afford it, I would say go for it. You can always return it if you don't like it.

16. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

This pretty much matches my situation as well. I keep my MBP open on the table in front of the couch most of the time for e-mail, desktop applications, and more intensive browsing. The MPB is my main computer.

I keep my iPad in the bedroom, and use it for casual surfing, some game play, and I tend to take it with me on short trips when I don't want to take the MPB. I use it every morning and every evening to surf from bed. The iPad is my casual surfing machine.

17. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I have all three:

Early 2011 MBP:
    - Video editing, document work, Photoshop, organisation etc.
    'The Hub'

iPad 2:
    - Surfing the web, games, note-taking, iBooks etc

iPhone 4:
    - Games, calls and texts, camera, surfing web when out, Twitter, iBooks etc.

18. pat park macrumors 6502a

this sums up my usage as well between the same devices. All fit their own niche and needs.

19. t0ddl3s macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook and an iPad 2, I primarily use the iPad for:

Web browsing
    Reading
    Games
    Instant messaging
    Email
    Light photo editing (photos from iPhone)
    Watching movies (streamed from home network)

I use my MacBook for:

Browsing/ purchasing of music (can only use iTunes store on iPad)
    RAW photo editing using Aperture 3 and Photoshop

Since getting an iPad my MacBook only get used about 3-4 times a week, whereas I'll use my iPad daily. It's so much easier to use, lighter, feels faster, and has awesome battery life. Using my Mac just feels so much more cumbersome compared to the iPad, although it is much more powerful (hence why I use it to edit photos).
    Hope this helps.

20. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

A colleague I know has all 4 - MBP 15', MBA 13', ipad and iphone 4s.

The MBP is left at home for serious heavy duty work.

The MBA for when he needs to run around outside.

Iphone well, he needs a phone.

Ipad, for casual web surfing, watching movies, etc. He is a little frustrated that he cannot pay bills via his ipad though, as the websites he needs to visit use flash.

Icloud to sync contacts and calender (he is a fitness instructor). His conclusion is that they each have their own niche, though it is inevitable that there is a bit of overlap in terms of use between them.