I pad pro 9.7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by writeitalldown, Apr 10, 2017.

  1. writeitalldown macrumors newbie

    writeitalldown

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2017
    #1
    Should I buy?

    I'm not a total tech nerd, but I need a new I pad. I had an Air 2, but it was on lease with my carrier. I switched phone companies and decided to give it back rather than pay off $360 because I want the pro with the pencil. Must have the pencil.

    I've decided that the 9.7 is the right size, the larger one too big.

    Is it a good time to buy, or am I going to buy it and next month a new one will come out? I don't follow the trends too much, so it's all foreign to me. That said just browsing here, I see conflicting ideas of a possible update in the next few months otherwise the end of the year. Or just updates for the larger one?

    I don't really game and I'll be honest, it's just an over-priced note-pad for me and a netflix/kindle machine. Do I just bite the bullet and buy it?
     
  2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    At this point it could be next week or in 6 months. If you don't need the greatest out then the iPad Pro is a great option.

    Even if the new one comes out the iPad Pro 9.7 is still fantastic.

    Chances are I will keep mine and not upgrade as it's simply great in everything you need from an iPad.
     
  3. TonyK macrumors 6502a

    TonyK

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    #3
    Same boat for my wife and I. We are thinking the current 9.7 iPad Pros will do what we want and may pull the plug and do it in the next few weeks.
     
  4. 960design macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2012
    Location:
    Destin, FL
    #4
    I wouldn't purchase an iPad Pro right now, get a $299 iPad ( it'll be faster than your Air 2, but you would hardly notice and just about as fast as the iPad Pro, again, you would need a high speed camera to tell the difference, if one at all.

    I purchased a pro when they came out and use wifi headset and barely use the Apple pencil. In hindsight, I could have easily saved the $700US and been just as happy with my old iPad Air 2.
     
  5. Booch21 macrumors regular

    Booch21

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    #5
    If you want it and start using it right away, why wait? There will always be something better coming soon. I've had the iPad Pro 9.7 for some time. I have the pencil and the keyboard and I love it. It should suit your needs for several years.
     
  6. writeitalldown thread starter macrumors newbie

    writeitalldown

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2017
    #6

    If I was going to spend $300'ish, I would've kept the air. But I attend a lot of conferences, so having the pencil for notes is what I want and then a keyboard (I have a USB keyboard). So I don't plan on buying any other model, just wondering if they can upgrade the pro 9.7 that much to make it worth waiting for.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 10, 2017 ---
    That's what I'm thinking. I can't imagine any upgrades to make the current one a regret. Right? RIGHT? What do you use the pencil for? I travel to a couple conferences each year and thought it'd be great for notes (and then FB when I get bored) and for taking side notes while I write instead of burning through paper notebooks right and left.
     
  7. 960design macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2012
    Location:
    Destin, FL
    #7
    Sounds like you have it figured out, but I am confused with the logic. I must be missing a crucial point. Not wanting to spend $300, but willing to spend $599 for iPP + $99 for pencil is okay? I would certainly agree, if the pencil is something you need, then absolutely get the IPP, it does still kick butt a year later.

    I cannot imagine Apple would come out with something much better, unless near edge to edge glass = larger screen in same form factor, longer battery life, double the graphics power, 50% faster processor is something worth waiting at least 5-6 months for.
     
  8. writeitalldown thread starter macrumors newbie

    writeitalldown

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2017
    #8

    I wasn't super clear (it's been a long day). I didn't want to spend $300+ to pay off my iPad Air2 or buy the new cheaper iPad and then buy an upgraded IPP in 6 months. I do want an IPP (+pencil) just was wondering if it's time to buy now or if it's worth waiting for an update. So buy now, or be without an iPad for the next few months.
     
  9. Scarpad macrumors 68000

    Scarpad

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2005
    Location:
    Ma
    #9
    i just bought a 2017 Ipad it should be here today I'll keep it for a year and next spring upgrade to either a 10.5 inch pro or 12.9
     
  10. writeitalldown thread starter macrumors newbie

    writeitalldown

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2017
    #10
    I ended up just getting the IPP. For what I need/use it for, there really isn't anything that I need to wait for (what I need/want was the pencil). So I'm happy with my purchase. Thanks for the responses! Now to find juuuuust the right cover!
     
  11. Booch21 macrumors regular

    Booch21

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    #11
    The Apple silicone cover is really quite good. I have paired it with the Apple Smart keyboard.
     
  12. The Game 161 macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #12
    Enjoy

    It's a great device even if a new one does come out
     

Share This Page