Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsusser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Medellín, Colombia
And it's not the max, haha. I'm starting to think I'm nuts. How much did everyone else spend? The one consolation is I'll be able to sell my iPhone 7 for at least $400.

I got the Xs with 512GB, leather case and AppleCare with theft protection. Plus tax.

Reactions: melman101

rodiak

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Portland, OR
Got the 256GB Gold Max ($1249) + the 44mm gold SS Apple Watch with the gold Milanese Loop band ($849). No tax in OR and no accessories for me yet (I take great care of my iPhones and mostly use them without a case so I'll decide on that later).

Still, that a grand total of $2100 o_O

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
And it's not the max, haha. I'm starting to think I'm nuts. How much did everyone else spend? The one consolation is I'll be able to sell my iPhone 7 for at least $400.

I got the Xs with 512GB, leather case and AppleCare with theft protection. Plus tax.

Yeah...I kinda felt a bit guilty for buying the 256 GB iPhone X, but you know what... I'm glad I did. It's nice not having to worry about storage, and even nicer to have an iPhone that is such a pleasure to use. Back in the iPhone 5 days, and earlier, it was just a smartphone. For a few years now my iPhone has been the center of my digital universe. It's the hub for my Apple Watch, integrates seamlessly with the iPad I use for work and my iPad at home, thanks to iCloud. I can access all my work stuff thanks to Office 365 apps. I almost don't need a home computer anymore. I still have one, but I built it for a few hundred bucks a couple of years ago, and it should be good for many more years. I don't use a laptop anymore.

Years ago I spent significantly more money to keep my home desktop and laptop reasonably up to date. Since I have always built my own desktops I have been able to keep those costs down, but in the past I used to spend much more on parts since I used it for gaming. Now my needs are more modest at home, and I sometimes wonder if I still need a desktop computer at all. I could get by with just an Apple Watch, iPhone, and iPad... but I like using the larger desktop display for Photoshop and Lightroom. Overall I'd say iOS/watchOS is my primary digital ecosystem for both home and work, even though I do use Windows on my primary desktop computer at work. The iPhone is the hub of that ecosystem, and the Apple Watch and iPad are accessory devices. So that's probably $2,000+ worth of iOS/watchOS devices. I tend to upgrade on a 3 year cycle... sometimes 2 years when I can afford it. For less than a cup of coffee a day... :p

Now go shoot some 4K video so you can be glad you purchased the dang 512 GB!

Reactions: yashz and gorkt

GloriousAndrew

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
It's absolutely bonkers to think that I will be spending close to what I spent on my high end gaming PC.:eek:

But, like my fiance would tell you, my phone is permanently glued to my hand and my eyes glued to the phone. For something I use this much and enjoy this much, I don't mind it.

Reactions: yashz and sean000

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016

I also spent the same amount for the ultimate XsMax gold 512 GB plus Apple Care with lost and theft protection plus otterbox clear case from Otterbox plus tax. The spending is worth it for the ultimate iPhone in the iPhone history.

Reactions: ray737

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
This is a handheld computer. It does so much of what a big rig can do in such a small size. And dedicated computers usually can’t do cellular calls or gps.

If by "so much" you mean surfing the web well.. sure... but sorry, there isn't an iPhone on the market that can do the intense gaming I do on my PC... not to mention the video/photo editing I do with Premiere Pro and Photoshop/Lightroom.

Good try though.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
It's absolutely bonkers to think that I will be spending close to what I spent on my high end gaming PC.:eek:

But, like my fiance would tell you, my phone is permanently glued to my hand and my eyes glued to the phone. For something I use this much and enjoy this much, I don't mind it.

Yes...I can recall spending easily as much on parts for a gaming PC, all so I could play video games when I should have been sleeping. I don't regret it... some of those games were so fun and have left a lasting impression on me the way a good book or movie does. At least the iPhone offers a lot of utility beyond gaming.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
I was just enjoying my X I bought 6 months ago.....what a beautiful gadget.....saved me at least 1.500 bucks today.....oooo, what a joy :)

Reactions: sean000

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Phone is misleading. Get a throwaway standard “phone” for next to nothing. That’s a phone.

This is a handheld computer. It does so much of what a big rig can do in such a small size. And dedicated computers usually can’t do cellular calls or gps.
An iPhone 8 is a powerful handheld computer too and is now down to half the price of an iPhone XS though. We are all used to modern smartphones and their capabilities but that doesn’t make the high end phones that cost well over a grand any better to the average user. They are bought through consumer desire rather than technological advantage.

Koobs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I spent $1530 on my gold 512 Xs max. I’m done upgrading every year, so I went with the best and biggest.

Reactions: millydog

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
If by "so much" you mean surfing the web well.. sure... but sorry, there isn't an iPhone on the market that can do the intense gaming I do on my PC... not to mention the video/photo editing I do with Premiere Pro and Photoshop/Lightroom.

Good try though.

And there’s dozens of things it will do. It can’t and won’t replace my primary computer functions either.

Your post avoids the main point that it’s a computing device. If you simply want a phone no need for a smartphone.

It’s like calling a car a “satnav” because that’s one function it can perform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.