I personally wouldn't mind the rMBA

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by theuserjohnny, Mar 9, 2015.

1. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

However the battery life is a deal killer for me. Now I understand that the display is most likely (despite it being as "efficient" as it is) is the main for the battery life being less than the current models.

Having a MBA with 13+ hrs of battery has been great! I wake up early every morning go to class and then take it to work. It's nice not having to worry about debating if I need to bring a charger or not.

Love how they made it more portable and love the fact that they not only improved the display res but also helped make the bezels not as thick.

I take it on the go and do light work and if I need more power or when I get home I just hop onto my beast of a desktop PC to do my heavy lifting work/gaming.

Personally since again I have my desktop at home I honestly could care less for the ports other than a headphone jack for listening to music.

A lot of my documents are saved on cloud servers and such so I'm not worried the lack of ports.

In a perfect world I would just prefer Apple to just update the current MBA lineup with a high quality 1080p display but lets be honest the rMBA is the future of where Apple is heading.

I'll call it now but they'll eventually replace the "Pro" line up with a 15inch version of the rMBA and just have a 12 and a 15 and just call them Macbooks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple updated the MBA line, and created a third line, resurrecting the old MacBook term.

The 12" laptop is not a MBA (or rMBA) but rather a MacBook

3. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

No, the display is but a tiny part of the equation. The rMB is much thinner and much smaller than a 13" MBA, hence it physically has less space for the battery. The 13" has 54 watt-hour, the rMB has 40. For comparison's sake, the 11" MBA has 38.

4. Nozuka macrumors 65816

actually, thanks to the low power CPU and nearly the same battery as the 11'' MBA it should last much longer than the 11'' MBA. but it does not. which means, the higher resolution must draw alot of power.

5. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

I'm not saying it doesn't affect the battery life at all, mind you. My point is that compared to the 13" the rMB can't physically have the same battery life for a reason very different than the display.

6. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm then what else could be the biggest power draw for the laptop? Flash storage doesn't take up a lot of energy, there are no fans, and the CPU has a ridiculous low TDP.

Look at it this way the current 11inch MBA which has a smaller form factor than this new model and has less battery space than the new Macbook matches yet it matches the new Macbook at 9hrs. What's the major difference between the two? Other than the fact that the 11inch MBA has a higher TDP CPU, a fan, smaller form factor, and less battery space?

If you actually look at the internals of a MBA and compare it to the new Macbook you'll see that the new Macbook actually holds more battery than a MBA because of how they're now stacking the batteries. If Apple stuck to its current model for batteries I bet you more than anything the battery life would be lower than 9 hours. Apple had to up the battery storage for the rMBPs when they first came out... why? Because of the display.