Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

I phone 12 magnet

ReggieZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2020
Will my iPhone 12 pro stick to a car mounted magnet while in a case?

LV426

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2013
Will my iPhone 12 pro stick to a car mounted magnet while in a case?

Yes.

All I'd then be waiting for is for Apple to manufacture a wireless USB dongle to replace my awful wired CarPlay, which is quite flaky, and connects intermittently. My scenario would be

Car dashboard USB port > (in) CarPlay Wireless Dongle > (out) Magnetic charger

dz5b609

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2019
Yes.

All I'd then be waiting for is for Apple to manufacture a wireless USB dongle to replace my awful wired CarPlay, which is quite flaky, and connects intermittently. My scenario would be

Car dashboard USB port > (in) CarPlay Wireless Dongle > (out) Magnetic charger

That example is with a magsafe case on a magsafe car mount, we don't know yet how the magnet will work with a normal case on a normal magnetic car mount.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2006
Colorado
Scosche is supposed to put out some products by Jan 2021, but I'm holding out for ProClip. Will report back when I can re: the magnet mount since I've got one in my car - iPhone 12 Pro due Oct 23.

LV426

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2013
That example is with a magsafe case on a magsafe car mount, we don't know yet how the magnet will work with a normal case on a normal magnetic car mount.

As the article speculates, that depends entirely on the thickness of a "normal" case. Of course, in the not too distant future, MagSafe cases will be the new "normal".

"While we can't confirm until we have them in our hands, it appears that you must have a MagSafe capable case to fully use MagSafe accessories such as mounts, chargers, or wallets. Otherwise, the magnets may not be strong enough depending on the thickness of your case."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.