I phone 3G GB vanished?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Richdj, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Richdj macrumors member

HI

I tried updating my iphone 3g to the os4 the other day, but the back up was taking forever and i didnt have time to wait so had to cancel, tried to update agian today and again i left for nearly 3 hours before giving up again.
    I read on a forum about using the restore function to do the back up instead of update, so i did this, it has worked in much less time, but now the iphone shows a capacity of 6.9GB instead of 8 ? i dont get it where has the GB gone ?
    Is it corrupt ?

Not too fussed as im hoping to upgrade to Iphone 4 anytime soon but just wandered if anyone knew the answer to this.

2. hasek3139 macrumors 6502

there isnt a problem. when you get the phone it is 8GB but some space is already taken up by the OS so you wont have a full 8GB. my 16gb iphone had 14.8 when i 1st used it. thats how it is with all hard drives you dont get exactly whats advertised

3. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

hey
    yeah im aware that u dont get quite as advertised, just before the update im sure it said capacity 8gb ( 3 odd gb used )
    Just something i noticed when i hadnt before maybe im just going mad .