Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010

Hi all,

I need a bit help guys, ive downloaded a music file and converted to aac then to ringtone and have it as 'Ring' tone in i tunes. I have selected it correctly and tried to sync on numerous times however it wont show up in the iphone. It is not in sounds, ringtones or in the ipod anywhere. Does anyone know what could be the prob?

Many thanks

Fin :)

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
Hi all,

I need a bit help guys, ive downloaded a music file and converted to aac then to ringtone and have it as 'Ring' tone in i tunes. I have selected it correctly and tried to sync on numerous times however it wont show up in the iphone. It is not in sounds, ringtones or in the ipod anywhere. Does anyone know what could be the prob?

Many thanks

Fin :)

It could be that it's too long. It has to be under 30 seconds long (either that or 40, it depends who you ask, but 29 seconds or less is safe.)

How did you convert it to aac format?

finley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies....yup i did make sure the file was 29 secs, also the file was converted to aac via right click on song in i tunes then convert to aac file (im using win xp by the way) . It converted to RING on desktop and then i played it and it is currently sitting in 'Ringtones' in my i tunes. But when i sync it says 'sync complete' but the ring tone isnt in my ringtones on the i phone. Also i have checked the box to sync my ringtones correctly. Please note i have followed the instructions carefully but just dont know why it isnt there?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies....yup i did make sure the file was 29 secs, also the file was converted to aac via right click on song in i tunes then convert to aac file (im using win xp by the way) . It converted to RING on desktop and then i played it and it is currently sitting in 'Ringtones' in my i tunes. But when i sync it says 'sync complete' but the ring tone isnt in my ringtones on the i phone. Also i have checked the box to sync my ringtones correctly. Please note i have followed the instructions carefully but just dont know why it isnt there?

When you say you "converted to RING" you mean that you renamed the file with the .m4r extension?

Do you perchance manually manage your music? If so, I do not believe ringtones will sync. I could be wrong, but I think people have mentioned this before. Also, have you made sure that the checkbox next to your new ring tone is selected in the Ringtones folder?

finley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Also under ringtones on the phone i do not have a custom option (should i have one already?)

finley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
When you say you "converted to RING" you mean that you renamed the file with the .m4r extension?

Do you perchance manually manage your music? If so, I do not believe ringtones will sync. I could be wrong, but I think people have mentioned this before. Also, have you made sure that the checkbox next to your new ring tone is selected in the Ringtones folder?

Yeas indeed after i typed .m4r it went to 'Ring' as in the instructions i was following. I not sure what you mean my friend when you say 'manually manage my music?' sorry mate but im not clued up on i tunes but basically i just play all my music through i tunes and then it uploads the lot to the ipod. (I bet this sounds ultra stupid as this prob what everyone does).

Also the box is checked next to the ringtone i want to sync and its the only one in there. Also the ringtone plays for the 29 secs from ringtones in itunes.

Hope im making sense.

finley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Right just to add the iphone is 'Automatically syncing when connected to i tunes' as this box is checked. :eek:

finley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Yes to reiterate the 'Automatically sync when connect i tunes' box is checked NOT the 'manually manage' box.

finley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
D oyou know friend why i havent got a 'custom' selection under ringtones in my i phone or does this come into the list of ringtones once it has recieved a new ring tone?

macfan60

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2009
Have you tried dragging the ringtone from the ITunes ringtone folder to the icon of your IPHONE (icon not ringtone folder list)? I have found that the ringtone then shows up on my IPHONE. Then I can selected from settings etc. I manually manage my music rather than automatic sync though. So that may make a difference. :)

finley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Here where i got to...Used iringer to convert the song to ringtone. Dropped it into i tunes, it doesnt work if you have settings in summary of itunes to 'automatically sync when connected'. It has to be set to 'manual sync' then the ringtone will go to the i phone, then just a case of dropping all music into the phone on itunes. So in summary - MacFan had it spot on :)

It still seems strange why it doesnt drop in to i phone when sync set to automatic though. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.