I phone 4S carrier swap problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by River Tam, Mar 11, 2013.

1. River Tam, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013

River Tam macrumors newbie

let me say in advance thanks for any useful information given

I have a Verizon I phone 4S (it is both CDMA & GSM). Supposedly it has been unlocked by Verizon (no code givin, the Verizon operator just said its unlocked and then gave us a 45 minute run around). I have a new micro sim card from H2O wireless and the phone is saying sim invalid.....I have activated the sim and my h2o plan already, can this be caused by Verizon not actually unlocking the phone and is there a fix for it?

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

3. River Tam thread starter macrumors newbie

im gonna guess no, I turned it off to swap simcards then it never makes it out of bootup mode with the new sim card, how do I restore it?

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

Do a back up of your information. Plug it into iTunes, and restore if allowed to.

5. River Tam thread starter macrumors newbie

nope its not even showing u as a device on my iTunes menu

6. davidra macrumors 6502

Am I missing something? Unless I'm mistaken you can't use a CDMA phone with a SIM card in the US...only outside of the US.

7. River Tam thread starter macrumors newbie

supposedly the I phone 4s and I phone 5 work on both the cdma and gsm networks.....so at this point H2O says its Verizon's fault, Verizon says its Apple's fault and 6 hours later I still haven't got a live person at apple

8. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

Verizon is lying to you. They will not unlock your phone for domestic GSM use.

To verify that your phone is unlocked internationally, you can go to your local shady cell phone dealer and ask if they have a UK micro-SIM you can borrow for a second, or you can buy one off Amazon for $5 or less.

Every SIM card identifies it's home network by MCC/MNC (Mobile Country Code / Mobile Network Code). Your phone will reject any SIM card that is from the US and not from Verizon.

I've been through the BBB and Verizon executive relations. It's seriously not worth your time to deal with them, unfortunately.

For what it's worth, the iPhone 5 on Verizon (and not on Sprint) is unlocked per FCC mandate.