I Phone and Slingbox

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gus89, Nov 13, 2007.

1. gus89 macrumors newbie

Does anybody know when we will be able to use the I Phone for viewing slingbox?

2. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

if/when slingbox releases a program for it. hopefully after the SDK.

3. gus89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Excuse my ignorance but what is SDK? Also, is it slingbox or Apple?

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

SDK = Software developers kit

It allows third parties to develop software for Apple products...

5. TuckBodi macrumors 6502

Now that Dish has bought Sling Media I think you'll find that they'll be shutting down side projects such as this because they have their own device called the pocketdish. And have you also noticed slingcatcher has disappeared as well?? Guess they didn't like the idea of somebody not watching their crappy signal and getting something broadcasted for free...

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Depends. Dish has a definite interest in making sling more proprietary, but on the other hand with satellite subscriptions in danger there's something attractive about a handy stream of revenue that's independent of the core business and requires little upkeep. I can't remember if sling already charges a monthly fee, but I am willing to bet people would be willing to pay it, and then they'd get some extra cash and keep their brand name in front of people.

SDK, as was explained above, is software developer's kit. It will allow a 3rd party (such as Sling) to create programs for the iPhone.

It is first on Sling to develop the product. Depending on how the application process works, Apple may or may not be approving programs prior to loading them onto the iPhone. If they are doing pre-approvals, they may not be interested in a company that competes directly with itunes downloads and may not allow that program on the iphone. Or they might not care.

Even if the program exists and Apple ok's it, there's the issue of streaming speed...you'd need to be around a wifi access point because EDGE is too slow for sling to work really comfortably.

7. gus89 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Is this a Joke? Why are they getting rid of the Sling Catcher.

9. FastangV6 macrumors regular

FastangV6

I hope this eventually happens. It would be awesome to watch content from the tv at home anywhere you have wifi via the iPhone.

Also, this would significantly overcome the limited storage capacity of the iPhone, as you could conceivably watch any dvd's or :apple:TV's or any other devices you might have hooked up to the slingbox... Very cool.